JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My Bernese is just one and still hates going to the vet and

Hi my Bernese is just one and still hates going to the vet and groomers, gets very upset and anxious
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this anxiety? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: all the time since the first day he went to the vet. Tried 2 different groomers but got very upset had to take him away
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps Bernese with his anxiety?
Customer: no do know what to try !!!
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bernese?
Customer: not that we know, when he’s around us he’s happy relaxed just like a Bernese should be

HI there, you are through to Dr. Jake. I am a UK based vet. Thank you for your enquiry regarding your dog. Going to the vets and the groomers can be a bit stressful for animals but there are some options to potentially help.

it would be worth speaking to your vets to see if they will prescribe you with a tablet called trazadone. We use this for animals that get stressed or anxious when coming to the vets or the groomers and it makes them more calm and more cooperative for what needs to be done. This generally works quite well but if it doesnt then the next option would be diazepam. I try not to use this unless really needed as it can make animals very sedate and sleepy but also works nicely to reduce anxiety

If its mainly grooming related and you are really struggling with these then some vets can sedate animals properly to do the grooming themselves though they arent trained in grooming so id expect their efforts wont look as good as a professional groomer.

i hope this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jake
We spoke to the vet about this but is very slow to prescribe anything. They want us to go to a behavioural therapist !!. The dog is the most placid dog ever.