DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My two French dogs aged 11 months. With some dogs they tend

Customer Question

My two French bull dogs aged 11 months. With some dogs they tend to get aggressive
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: only sometimes... Started about 3 weeks ago... Started as playful, now they (well one more than the other) just snaps at the dog. it tends to be always bigger dogs
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Bulldog with this aggression?
Customer: tried slow introduce, saying nice things , stroking them whilst introducing
JA: What's the Bulldog's name?
Customer: 2 Blu and Patch
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Dogs react for different reasons. If one dog is doing it more than the other, it may be just working the other dog up.

For example if one dog has a anxious or fearful temperament , they are going to act out to keep what they fear away from them. When this happens, the other house dogs may just chime in.

It would be a good idea to take one dog out at a time to see if there are different reactions.

They are at the age now where if there were issues in their temperament, you will start to see it come out more as they near adulthood.

Making them meet something they are acting out at may be making them not trust you to keep them safe. Usually it is recommended that you cross the street, or turn away and walk in the opposite direction. Give a leave it and heel command as you move at the distance. When this happens enough times , the dogs will see you are not going to make them go toward something that they are not sure of.

In the meantime, doing some behavior adjustment training with each dog separately might help, again depending on the reason they are acting out.

If one or the other is possessive aggressive, they may be seeing you as the possession and thus they are acting out to keep others away from you.

It might be a good idea to have each temperament tested by a local trainer to see if there is fear or possession in either dog.

If there is possession, that will take much work with daily training and putting the dog on the nothing in life is free program.

Training method -Behavior Adjustment (fear aggression)

https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5k2tIkXMY

Nothing in life is free program (possession & alpha aggression)

https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/dog_commands_nothing-in-life-is-free.pdf