DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

I have a 15 month old spayed, spanial X. Normally she is

Customer Question

I have a 15 month old spayed, bitch spanial X.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Spaniel's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Normally she is sweet natured and bidable but since being spayed she has become very wary and snappy with men she doesn't know. She has also shown signs of agression with 2 of her dog friends on two occasions where food was involved. i have spoken to my vet who has seen her agression first hand and he suggested I got in touch with you.
JA: Does this aggression happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: very occasionally
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Spaniel with her aggression?
Customer: today I took her to the vet for her annual jabs and we won her over with biscuits but she still tried to have a go at Tom
JA: What's the Spaniel's name?
Customer: Dimpsey I bought her as a cockerpoo but judging by her appearance she looks more like a dachshund spaniel X
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: My name is Jenni!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It sounds like she may have a bit of fear aggression and if she is going after dogs over food she may also have possession aggression.

Fear aggression. Dogs with fear aggression only take to one person and do not trust others , even if the dog has been around them for life. They see things humans do as threats to them. Eye contact, Talking to, reaching out toward or walking toward. If they feel trapped they will act on instinct and may bite. Other animals that get in their space they may go after also.

Fear aggression needs to be treated with care to prevent bites. It is important for people to teach and use commands with a fear aggressive dog so the dog knows what you are going to do as you near it. For instance, if a dog is laying on the couch and you walk up to it to take if off the couch, the dog will bite because it does not know why you are touching it. So you would teach the dog the difference between jumping up on something and jumping off of something. This way you would tell the dog to move off of the couch before you sit. The dog gets off, it knows what you want and it goes somewhere else. Fear aggressive dogs need to be ignored by those it does not trust ,, especially if there are no commands in place. Doing any of the challenges can result in a bite. Positive obedience training such as clicker training should be kept up with through the life of the dog. Behavior adjustment training can also help.

Behavior Adjustment Training

https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5k2tIkXMY

Possessive aggression. Dogs with this will take ownership of items and will growls or snap if someone tries to take them away or they get too close to the possession . They can be possessive over items, food, people, and space.

Possession aggression is pretty much self explanatory where as the dog will not relinquish what it feels possessive of. In this case the dog should be trained daily and put on the nothing in life is free program. All things the dog may feel possessive of should be put away. The dog should be taught to go to a bed or crate in the corner if the room and stay there when company comes, especially children as children do not understand a dogs body language. Training a possessive aggressive dog to give up an item is also a good idea.

Nothing in life is free program

https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/dog_commands_nothing-in-life-is-free.pdf

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for this sound advice which i will attempt to apply but I feel this form of training on line is not for me and I would like advice on how to unsubscribe. Please can you advise? many thanks Jenni
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 10 days ago.

Yes Jenni. You are going to want to contact customer service to un subscribe.

Customer support , email customer support at *****@******.***