JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My puppy is a 3 month old working cocker spaniel, still

My puppy is a 3 month old working cocker spaniel, still peeing in his bed and inside the house? I religiously take him outside as soon as he wakes up and about 15/20 minutes after his food/water. All poos are done outside
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the Cocker Spaniel seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No, he is a live wire and I intend to start basic training this week,
JA: What's the Cocker Spaniel's name?
Customer: His name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bobbin?
Customer: I am going to pick up on a small local shoot - I feel he needs to be more stimulated in his everyday life.

Hi there, you are though to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. Thank you for your enquiry regarding your dog, Bobbin. We commonly see young puppies still having accidents in the house at this age, particularly through the night as they arent always able to hold their bladder through the night. again, pee in the house at this age takes slightly longer with training and time. Puppy training differs with toilet training from dog to dog so please be patient as this may take a bit longer for him to understand.

For peeing in the bed some puppies need to be let out once during the night or a very late pee and a very early one until they are able to hold their bladder through the night. Continue to train Bobbin and reward him when he pees outside and dissuade him from doing this in the house.

if he needs them, puppy training pads can be used though if not used early this might not work.

Young dogs can still often pee when they get excited when they greet someone, again this is something they grow out of and sometimes this isnt achieved until after 6 months of age in some individuals.

If bobbin is doing a lot of small voids of urine regularly ( small drips some times red coloured ) and he looks to be sore/ painful when passing then there might a something going on- common conditions would be a urinary tract infection which requires medications to help treatment - for this i would recommend making an appointment with your local vets for an examination and for a urine sample t be handed in so they can test it to rule out no infection is present.

As you mentioned, young working cocker dogs are very energetic and need constant stimulation- puppy classes, dog agility and working all can help allow adequate stimulation to this breed.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. jake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this helps thank you

no problem at all