Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

I have a 2 yr old Airedale that I was showing regularly with

Good afternoon, my name is***** have a 2 yr old Airedale that I was showing regularly with no problem, then the 1st show after COVID and just a week ago the 2nd she wouldn’t let the judge anywhere near her I have no explanation for this behaviour, so am wondering if you could put me on the right track! Thanking you, Joan Edwards.
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the Airedale's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** her kennel name is***** surprise catch!
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lizzie?
Customer: No nothing at all!
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this with Lizzie and understand how concerning this must be.There are a few things to consider here.It is likely that the break from the social events has set her back a little and that she is finding it overwhelming now. Many of us have struggled to socialise our puppies and dogs during COVID through no fault of her own.Given her age, it may be hormonally related, depending on where she is in her cycle (if not spayed).As the behaviour came on suddenly, we would also wonder if there is something niggling her such as a mild ear infection or mild joint pain. I would be especially suspicious if this if she became grumpy after being handled. A vet visit is a good idea, to rule out any mild discomfort bothering her.You may find interventions including calming supplements, brain games, various forms of exercise to burn energy, positive reward training to build confidence, an Adaptil collar etc all help.If nor improving, a consultation with a reputable canine behaviourist is the best next step.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** mentioned hormonal I’ve obviously been asking older and experienced airedalers, and that did come up, she’s not at all grumpy, we have a pub, so she gets fussed over quite a bit, it’s the direct attention of being gone over by the judge any way, thanks for your comments, I’ll go down the hormonal root and fingers crossed. Thanking you very much. Joan
Hopefully we can get some answers soon. Wishing you both the very best.
I'm sorry to see you have rated my advice negatively and hope to be able to turn this around. How can I be of further help?