JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My puppy won't stop bitting me and others? It started not

My puppy won't stop bitting me and others?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the puppy's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: It started not long after I got her but its getting worse
JA: When did the puppy last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She saw the vet 3weeks ago for her second jab not on any medication.
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Button
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Button?
Customer: She is doing really well with other training it's just the bitting

Hi there, you are through to Dr. jake. Im a Uk based vet. thank you for your enquiry regarding you puppy, Button. is there any other dogs or animals in the house? how is buttons training going so far? has she learnt sit and is she toilet trained ?

thanks

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, she is the only animal in the house. She is 15 weeks old she is doing well with the toilet training and will listen why you ask her to sit.

Hi, i am unable to accept phone calls at this moment in time, i can continue to provide information via messaging or if you wish to have a phone call i can open the window to other experts who may be able to take a phone call

thanks

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, so what do you suggest

i will provide a detailed answer in my next message, please be patient while i type it out

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

We see biting commonly in young puppies, they often do this as a means of interaction especially while still with litter mates as they use it as a method to initiate playful behaviour- this is generally soft mouthing rather than hard biting. this is something which can stay as a playful means or develop into an aggression down the line if its not gotten on top of.

at this age Button will be teething, they want to chew and bite a lot to help the discomfort of the adult teeth coming through, most adult teeth should be present by the 5-6 month mark. to help with teething provide multiple means of stimulation to allow biting and chewing to take place such as strong toys that they can chew but make sure they arent ones they can tear bits off and swallow at this can lead to an intestinal blockage.

if biting is happening to hands , clothes etc.  this needs to be strongly discouraged, this can work by not allowing biting by getting Button to sit and giving a treat first so she knows you arent trying to play. if she is actively trying to find hands to bite then ignoring this behaviour will teach her this isnt the correct way to interact, but when she is interacting correctly, make sure she is rewarded- this is called positive reinforcement- this teaches animals that when they do something correct they are rewarded

also being firm and saying no when she is doing something wrong will teach her this isnt allowed. being firm vocally is acceptable, or having time out by putting her into a puppy crate. never use any physical motions at this can lead to aggression later as this can teach dogs that this is a queue to continue the action as they have received a response (a response they perceive as one to continue with their actions).

it is completely natural to have playful interactions with your puppy but make sure that you firmly draw the line if she crosses it with regards ***** ***** biting.

if you havent already started, puppy classes are a good way to continue social interaction, puppies develop social behaviours from being with other dogs, if she is biting too hard or being too boisterous, other dogs will let her know and will tell her. when this is in a controlled environment like a puppy class then we can help assist to allow the appropriate behaviour to be done and again discourage the inappropriate behaviour.

other good options would be continuing the training into using a dog trainer initially and then agility classes to further learn tips on training, dogs who are trained early are generally obedient dogs and this provides good stimulation to lay down good manners for the future.

over all, not allowing biting and telling her no and ignoring and stopping interaction when this happens is the key to her growing out of it , and positively rewarding good behaviour will teach her how you want her to behave

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am doing all of the above so I assume perseverance is the only thing I can do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even tried bitting spray

yes i would continue to persevere- you are doing all the right things sometimes this takes longer with some puppies than others- be patient and committed and it will pay off , also if you are struggling, getting an animal behaviourist in to assess the situation would be a good idea, better to do this sooner rather than later as you dont want this to become a learned behaviour that persists long term.

thanks

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your advice.

no problem at all