Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

Digging up my lawn, just started to dig - a week or two,

digging up my lawn
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: just started to dig - a week or two
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: recent vet check no meds
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: woody whippet 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Has Woody ever dug before or is this a brand new thing?Has anything changed recently e.g. a new lawn, reduced walks or a diet change?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
New nothing changed
Thank you.And any wildlife in the garden such as foxes or hedgehogs?Can you talk me through Woody's day including time spent outdoors, time left alone, time on walks, time spent training etc.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We live on a little village - lots of wildlife - morning home/play in the horse paddock afternoon 2 mile walk evening with the family
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Never left alone
Thank you; that sounds quite idyllic for her!Is the spot she is digging up just lawn?How long does she dog for?Has she ever found anything there under the grass?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Were you able to see the questions I posted w minutes ago?
I'm trying to get as much information as possible so I can provide the best answer.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yup and answered
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ask away
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ll tell you all you need to know!
Is the spot she is digging up just lawn?How long does she dig for and how often does she do it?Has she ever found anything under the grass?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He digs up the lawn nothing else
He digs out of sight - afternoon I think
He digs for minutes but deep holes dinner plate sized
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Nothing under the grass but soil
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you - much appreciated
I have seen it be the case that a dog will start a new behaviour like this due to a source of discomfort such as an ear infection or joint pain which they are trying to distract themselves from. A comprehension check can be sensible.Another possibility is something new which is enticing him such as hares or rabbit in warrens; really any local wildlife could peak a Whippets interest.Boredom is frequently a cause of digging so it may be worth seeing if more structured exercise, training and scent games help curb the behaviour.Short term, you can purchase products to make the grass less desirable or can fence off the area. There is also a grass protection mesh you can put over the lawn to ensure no digging can be done.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you - you have set out the possible causes succinctly.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will follow them up
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Goodnight
Happy to help and please feel free to keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Stay safe.