Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

He is a 4 year old OES I am fostering. He has not been

He is a 4 year old OES I am fostering. He has not been neutered and humps your leg when ever someone talks to me in the street
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I’ve only had him 2 weeks, don’t think he has been socialized. Been happening since I took him in.
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Seen vet last Monday for vaccinations going back this Monday for second jab
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Dexter
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dexter?
Customer: not on any other medication and very friendly. Just been groomed as he was very matted
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this about Dexter and appreciate your concern.Humping can have several triggers, including anxiety, dominance assertion and fear.As it occurs when someone approaches you, I would suspect he may be nervous of the situation.Does he seem anxious in general?
Do you know if this is a new behaviour?
What have your tried so far?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has settled in well, when rescue assessor went to his previous home he did it to her.
Don’t know what to try as pushing him off makes him worse
Absolutely, if we push him away this would likely make him more worried. I suspect he is seeking assurance and wants to be close to you as he is over stressed and doesn't know how to deal with it.While it may sound odd, it's best not to push or punish him. We ideally want him to make the decision to not hump or, if he does start, to stop by himself quickly.I would work on desensitizing him to new people. This can take some time. It works by gradually getting him used to being around people outside and tolerating them being close. We would start by having him at a distance where he feels comfortably e.g. with someone across the street or at the other end of the park. If he sees them and is calm, he gets a high value treat e.g. chicken chicken sausage and his "praise word" e.g. 'yes' or 'good'. We continue this, working on it many times a day, never getting close enough for him to get worried and hump.Over time, we expose him to people at a shorter distance. Again, as he remains calm, he gets rewarded.You should find that he soon links a new person with something good happening and welcomes their arrival. We can gradually get him to the point where he is happy with them close enough to chat.
Remember, if he starts to hump, we've taken things too quickly for him and need to back off.It won't be easier as he may have been doing this for years and he probably sees humping as a coping mechanism, akin to a child sucking their thumb.Given his breed, do also ensure he's getting plenty of mental and physical stimulation. He'll likely enjoy herding and sniffing activities as well as long hikes and food puzzles and brain games.The more we can tire him out mentally and physically, the less reactive he is likely to be.I would also consider some natural calming supplements such as Zylkene and an Adaptil collar.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I’ll give it a go
Fingers crossed.If things aren't improving, it may be worth consulting with a canine behaviourist who can come and assess him in person and provide a tailored programme.Wishing you and Dexter all the very best.

I do hope this has helped.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.