DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My dog excessively barks is aggressive towards anyone other

Customer Question

My dog excessively barks is aggressive towards anyone other than people from the household
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: All the time he has been like it for the last few months
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his aggression?
Customer: We took him from mum's house and had to stay d outside with him for a couple of hours as she had a house fire
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nothing successful so far
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Don't think so we have a cat who he terrifies and 2 birds and a 14 year old son He likes to dive bomb cars even if they are driving
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Generally dogs that bark and lash out like that have some type of anxiety or fears. Dogs will lash out to keep what they fear away from them. These dogs need to see routine in their life in order to be comfortable. General public , car rides etc do not show any consistency.

Fearful dogs are emotional dogs, so it is not something to train out of them. When the fear emotion kicks in, the dog goes directly to its primal instinct to protect itself. They cannot reason things out. For example, you are talking with a friend , the dog is right next to you, the friend drops their keys to the ground. You know the next move would be that the friend is going to bend down and pick up her keys. The dog does not know this. What the dog sees is someone coming close to it's space , reaching out toward them and they panic. Some dogs will bite if they feel they cannot get away, other dogs cower .

You can try some behavior adjustment training , this can help a little , however if you don't keep the routine, the dog usually falls back to old ways. I will put a link below for this.

Also as for the car. You might want to invest in a canvas crate that is easy to move around. Make sure the dog cannot see out the sides or back. This may give the dog some comfort from worry.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The dog is only 8 months old he is fine mainly while he's travelling in the car it's if he's walking on the lead
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm not at home so DJ is not with me

So he is feeling trapped on a lead. fear triggers instinct to react. When on lead give the commands heel and leave it, then move away from the oncoming dog. Make sure both commands are taught before you use them

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is not possible to move away from a moving car
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you saying that he would be better off the leash.

do you mean when walking?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Then you want to give the leave it and heel command and continue walking.

And no, the dog needs to be on a leash. That would be the law. So work on the heel and leave it commands at home first and don't take him out in public until he has learned them

Training

Always start your training in non distracting areas and gradually move to more distracting areas slowly. If at any point you move to a more distracting area and the dog acts out, then you have to go back to the last spot he was listening and train longer there, before moving forward.

Also, always remember as you start moving to more distracting areas, you need to up the ante of reward. So, for non distracting areas you can use soft dog treats broken up to smaller pieces , but when it is more distracting, you need to up that reward to chicken or hot dog slivers.

Also for things like leave it and a recall, you should start on a six foot leash and gradually move to a 30 foot leash as the dog progresses on the commands. This is because the dog needs to know that you can still get him back to you at a distance if it runs off. A 30 foot cotton training lead is very lightweight and the dog forgets it has a leash on, which further proofs dogs in their commands. Start at ten feet , then move to 20 feet then to the end of the 30 feet as the dog progresses.

If you have never used a clicker , you have to load it first before you start training. This just means you do 10 to 15 repetitions of clicking and treating so she knows that after the click sound, she is rewarded. The click sound, as you train, is actually a marker that she has done the right thing. The clicker costs about 2 dollars in a pet store.

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

use a variety of items for training leave it so the dog knows it pertains to everything in its sight. Include using a remote control car for moving items

the leave it command can be used for barking. lunging, chasing, and anything dangerous dropped on a floor. The remote control car can be driven around the house or yard to represent something in motion that you want the dog to leave alone. Sometimes it is a wild animal or sometimes a real car.

clicker leave it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK so he's suddenly decided to poo or pee where he wants to not just outside

First make sure he is not ill. second, beef up your potty training and do not let him have run of the home until he is fully potty trained. Never punish for accidents as it will cause him to go more inside the home , only he will try to hide it from you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He used to just use a set area now he'll go anywhere and has never let me know if he wants to go out

Potty training

1) take the dog to the area by leash on each outing

2) give a potty command such as go potty and repeat this even as the dog is going. A command keeps the dog’s mind on track.

3)when done, praise and give a treat. Do not wait to get back in the house to give a treat or the dog will think they are being rewarded for coming inside. Use a treat such as hot dog slivers or chicken slivers and this is the only time the dog should get this.

4) Any accidents just clean up, do not reprimand the dog in any way

5) hang a dog bell on the door and ring this each time you take the dog outside for potty reasons only. eventually the dog will ring the bell on its own.

If the dog does not go potty at an outing, then put him back in the crate for 10 minutes and try again.

Hang a bell on the door and ring it each time you take the dog out for potty outings and eventually the dog will ring that when he has to go.