DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My 5 mths male border collie is trying to herd cars when out

my 5 mths male border collie is trying to herd cars when out walking , when i try to stop him ,he jumpd
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Border Collie's situation?
Customer: he came from a farm both parents were working dogs .he keeping on biting my arms. we have a westie they get on ok but if she starts barking he will bite either my husband or myself.
JA: Does the Border Collie do this all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: its happening nearly all the time
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Border Collie with this behavior?
Customer: i am trying to train him and he does respond but then he just flys off very hyper . i cant let him off the lead to run around because he would be straight after the nearest car.
JA: And what's the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: Charlie born 29 june 2021
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he has a overbite
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hes not aggressive toward other dogs when we are out and hes friendly with people . We never leave him on his own , he will also grab us by the trouser leg if we are walking about the house . any foot wear with laces he has to bite on to them . the other side of him is a cuddly loveable dog hes clean around the house.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

The dog should be taught a heel command and a leave it command to 100%. This means train daily. Once learned, when you are out walking, and a car comes down the road, you give the dog a leave it and heel command.

Dogs will always act on instinct unless we teach them how we want them to behave.

As for biting your pants and shoe laces, this is another instance where leave it is going to come in handy.

Training

Always start your training in non distracting areas and gradually move to more distracting areas slowly. If at any point you move to a more distracting area and the dog acts out, then you have to go back to the last spot he was listening and train longer there, before moving forward.

Also, always remember as you start moving to more distracting areas, you need to up the ante of reward. So, for non distracting areas you can use soft dog treats broken up to smaller pieces , but when it is more distracting, you need to up that reward to chicken or hot dog slivers.

Also for things like leave it and a recall, you should start on a six foot leash and gradually move to a 30 foot leash as the dog progresses on the commands. This is because the dog needs to know that you can still get him back to you at a distance if it runs off. A 30 foot cotton training lead is very lightweight and the dog forgets it has a leash on, which further proofs dogs in their commands. Start at ten feet , then move to 20 feet then to the end of the 30 feet as the dog progresses.

If you have never used a clicker , you have to load it first before you start training. This just means you do 10 to 15 repetitions of clicking and treating so she knows that after the click sound, she is rewarded. The click sound, as you train, is actually a marker that she has done the right thing. The clicker costs about 2 dollars in a pet store.

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

For more videos of clicker training other commands go to google search and type in “clicker training videos”

use a variety of items for training leave it so the dog knows it pertains to everything in its sight. Include using a remote control car for moving items

the leave it command can be used for barking. lunging, chasing, and anything dangerous dropped on a floor. The remote control car can be driven around the house or yard to represent something in motion that you want the dog to leave alone. Sometimes it is a wild animal or sometimes a real car.

clicker leave it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf