DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

We have a dear elderly rescue dog good as gold most of the

We have a dear elderly rescue dog good as gold most of the time but if we are in a house with other dogs he goes for them
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: only recently as we haven’t had guests or been away until recently
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No medication apart from car sickness tablets
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ziggy 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Piggy?
Customer: Ziggy

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am reviewing your question now.

When did you get Ziggy? What is his breed?

Is Ziggy on the nervous side?

Is it only dogs he goes after?

Can you take an item away from him without an incident?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
We got ziggy a year ago he was originally a Romanian rescue dog. We got him from a young family who weren’t allowed dogs where they were moving to. He is the dearest loving dog no trouble at all. Until recently we had guests with a dog he went for him. Zig is not nervous at all copes with noise cyclists runners
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
He is a mongrel mainly corgi terrier perhaps with a bit chihuahua face
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
We went away this weekend to stay with my son who has 2 dogs and he went for them as well
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Outside he gets on with all dogs no problem at all.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
We love him to bits probably spoilt but this aggressive side we have not seen before
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
was a complete shock

Thank you for that information.

There may be something in his past that triggers the outburst. It could be he is on a leash or in a home where he begins to feel he cannot get away from the dogs or he could be feeling possessive over you.

I am going to suggest you work on a firm leave it command on him and because it is hard to know what is setting him off, that he remains leashed or crated when you visit with other dogs.

You may also want to get a temperament test done on him by a local trainer.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
He is devoted to my husband and he won’t tell him off
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Do dogs have a remember of their past?

Yes, dog's remember things from their past. If they are in a new life with new people, they do not dwell on it, but if the circumstance was bad, they remember that. So, movement from other dogs or people that were harmful or frightening, the dog would bring it up in his mind if it felt he was in the similar situation.

When you say he is fine with other dogs when outside. Is he loose or on a leash?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Loose he runs and runs on his short little legs and plays with all his friends in the park no aggression at all.

Then I would say there is some element of fear inside of him. When dogs with fears feel trapped, they will act out . They will feel trapped inside a house.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
How do solve this then?

You may not be able to. This is an emotion, not a trainable behavior. When any fear reaction kicks in, the dog is going to run on instinct to protect itself.

It may help if you have the dogs you are visiting meet outside for a while first, but sometimes that does not work either. It depends on the memory of the dog, and how often you go to a person's house.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.

you are very welcome.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I believe everything is trainable

Please understand that dogs are not like humans that have a forethought about what the likelihood of something happening in the future. Dogs live in the now. For instance. a friend drops their keys as they talk with you. You know that the next logical thing to happen is that the person will bend over and pick up their keys. The dog does not know that is what comes next. What the dog sees is someone bending over coming into their space.

If you are going to go daily to someone's house that has dogs and try to train there, it will work, but only in that person's home because the dog learns what happens in that home. So eventually it knows nothing has ever happened here. But if you then move to someone else's house where the dog has never been and expect the dog will feel safe in that environment it is unlikely.

I applaud you for trying to train, but at some point, you have to think more of the dog's mental wellbeing.