DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

We have just rescued a mistreated 7 month old pup that is

We have just rescued a mistreated 7 month old pup that is mixed breed including husky and bull breed. She hasn’t been socialised properly, and has never met children. We introduced her to one of our granddaughters this week but the pup was anxious and growled/ barked at the granddaughter. Is this something that can be resolved with training or is the pup too old?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this growling happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: We’ve only introduced them twice so far, the pup was better while we were outside walking her on a lead.
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Husky with her growling?
Customer: I distracted her when she growled. My son threw treats to her from a near distance whilst we walked along. I also gave her treats and praise for walking nicely. It seemed to start as we got closer to home and also inside the house.
JA: What's the Husky's name?
Customer: Cali
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Cali?
Customer: She originally came from a home where she was mistreated for the first 3/4 months of her life. My main concern is the safety of my granddaughter, however I wouldn’t like to rehome Cali if she can be helped in any way. This is her 3rd home already

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Please understand I can only advise you going by the information you give.

I am reviewing your question now. And it can take some time to type up your answer or ask you some questions

Much is going to depend on if this is fear from a trauma or if it is inherent.

If the dog was born fearful, then it is likely to get worse. But this does not mean you cannot give the dog a comfortable loving home. You just have to know the dogs limitations around what it sees as strangers or inconsistent people. Children are often seen as inconsistent so fearful dogs do not usually trust them.

If the dog is acting out of fear due to prior treatment, then you will want to do some behavior adjustment training to get the dog used to people again.

If the dog was just adopted, you will want to give it 3 to six months just to adapt to you and your neighborhood before pushing it too much into greeting others.

Below are links for behavior adjustment training.

Training method BAT

https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5k2tIkXMY