Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

She is weeding in her crate without so much as a sound to be

Customer Question

She is weeding in her crate without so much as a sound to be let out . She’s a healthy 13 week old who doesn’t seem to have any sense of where to make a mess. She was brought up in a stable so inside appears to be her preferred place
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Sonce I’ve had her , coming up three weeks , I can’t train her
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She saw a vet three days ago , all healthy, No concerns
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nessa, 13 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Nessa?
Customer: nope
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern and frustration.Is she fully house trained during the day?Does she ever pass urine or dribble without being aware?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your reply … No she is most definitely not housetrained .. she seems to only want to do her business indoors .. I take her out and she holds it until she comes in, t yesterday I sat outside with her for half an hour, my son opened to door to come and see us, she nipped in to poop on the floor before coming out again . I try and bring her out every half hour but failing to get her to realise that outside is where she needs to do it .. she goes anywhere in the house
Ah ok, so this sounds more like a general house training issue than anything else.We need to take it right back to basics.Rather than every hour, we should be taking her out after ever meal, drink and nap. We should also take her out regularly at other times. This can mean every 20 minutes.Bring her to the same spot each time.We need to stay outside until she goes and offer lots of praise and high value training treats like chicken or hot dog.Watch closely for signs she's about to go inside (e.g. circling, sniffing the floor, honkering down) and quickly scoop her up and bring her outside. Even if she passes some pee inside , it's good if we get some outside.Try to bring her out just before and just after crating her and take her out for a pee break in the middle of the night.Avoid using puppy pads inside as these can cause confusion.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. I’ll try what you say … I have pretty much been doing all these things , I already take her out every half hour, give her treats if she does do her business and praise her … but to no avail. I’ll keep trying though. Thanks
It can certainly be a difficult process and some pups take much longer than others.Do keep going because we normally have a breakthrough about this age.It is all about being consistent. We must never tell her off for going inside (as this can worsen the behaviour ) and must clean away any accidents with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent re soiling.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you , yes I never tell her off and always get rid of the smell with an enzymatic cleanser .. she never appears to do it in the same place twice , just in the house . I’m fed up with it as my last dog was so easy to train but I’ll keep going .. she’s lovely apart from that and the crying if ever I leave the room even for a second , but I’m working on that too .. I’m sure she will come , it’s very important for us to have a well trained dog , this is merely the beginning of a long road I’m sure ! I think I was spoilt with my other dog !!
I understand, puppies can be such hard work (but there are the occasional few who seem to come already trained!).I was unfortunate like you and my most recent pup was a terror, but thankfully he's a happy and calm adult now.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Best of luck!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ah that’s good to know. Thank you so much
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 16 days ago.

Of course!