Linda Simon
Linda Simon,
Experience:  Locum veterinarian at Panacea pets ltd
103237793

My daughter had two dogs, one recently put to sleep as

Customer Question

My daughter had two dogs, one recently put to sleep as cancerous. Since then whenever my daughter leaves the house the dog howls constantly, the neighbours are complaining about this and threatening to have him taken away.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: my daughter needs to work( 9-2) each day she has 2 kids and is pregnant as this is added stress. Her husband home on Fridays so dog is fine then
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The dogs name is ***** ***** is 6
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Roly, this sort of behaviour can cause a huge amount of stress for both owners and neighbours.

As the behaviour is only when your daughter is away, it sounds like he is experiencing separation anxiety, which may be exasperated by his grief.

There are several things we can do to try and help:

• Tire Roly out both mentally and physically before leaving home with e.g. a long walk on which he can sniff and scent, treat finding games, a training session etc.
  • Leave him with some food puzzles like a frozen Kong and/or lick mat
  • Start him on some calming supplements such as Zylkene
  • Have an Adaptil plug in in the room where he spends most time in the home.

With something like this, especially if the neighbours are involved, it is never a bad idea to seek professional help and consult with a canine behaviourist to make a tailored programme for Roly.

Long term, we can also work on desensitization with a method such as this:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/separation-anxiety

Under their 'What to do if your dog has separation anxiety' section.

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 15 days ago.

How does this all sound?

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 13 days ago.

I hope that this has been useful and please do let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.