DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

Why does my 20 month black lab bark at me when out for walk.

Why does my 20 month black lab bark at me when out for walk. She usually has an enormous stick in her mouth and taunts me with it. She refuses to drop the stick when asked and prefers to dance round about me with it. I’m going to come a cropper one of these days. She also squeals in the car when we are going out for a walk. When we arrive she jumps out at a hundred miles an hour and jumps up and down at me. She doesn’t show any of this behaviour with anyone else. Apart from these problems she’s a lovely dog in the home and fairly biddable. I just don’t know what this is all about and therefore have no idea on how to overcome. If you can give me some ideas, I would be extremely grateful as I love her loads.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Aside from this barking, have you noticed other behavioral changes in the Lab? Does she appear to be in pain?
Customer: No, she doesn’t appear to be in any pain as far as I’m aware. I’m the one who is usually in pain when she accidentally hits me with her huge stick!
JA: And what's the Lab's name and age?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Abby?
Customer: When she was born she was left with a (can’t remember the name) at her belly button. The vet reckons she shouldn’t have pups.

It sounds like you want to know why Abby acts a certain way with you and not others, is this correct?

If so, what commands does she know and how often do you train her?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She can sit, stay. Her recall is pretty good. Her walking on the lead is not good but she knows what to do when I tell her to come back to heel. She prefers to pull and she is a very strong dog and I’m not as young now but I manage. Some times she’s ok. After she’s been for a walk she’s much quieter and therefore prepared to listen. Actually, my 13 year old granddaughter has more success with her.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’m not keen to phone as we could be on for ages and it could be costly. Can you advise me by typing?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you still able to answer my question?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I said she can sit, stay, lie down and her recall is fairly good.

Thank you for that information. We can continue this way. Give me a few moments to type my answer

So in my experience, dogs do things with certain people because they can get away with it. It is like when a family member feeds a dog from the table and another family member will not under any circumstances do this. So what happens? The dog always goes to the person that will give him something for begging.

Dogs will do what works for them. So what I will suggest is you slow down with training  and start training commands in non distracting places first, then gradually move to more districting places.. She needs to know that no matter where you take her she needs to listen. But if she is not gradually trained to those places, the distractions may become overwhelming for her and so she is over excited and acts out .\

What we do with service dogs is train them everywhere a recipient might take them, but it is all built up slowly. We know that when distractions are less, the owner becomes the most important thing to listen to, but when there are many things to look at or concentrate on, the owner's commands go out the window.

I would certainly work more on heel until you give her a release command and I would work on Wait meaning she needs to stay in the car until you give a, let's go - heel    command.

I this making sense to you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is making sense. I walk her a lot in the forest and when she eventually gets out of the car her first thought is to find a huge long stick. Things go downhill from there! She becomes very excited when she knows she’s going for a walk and that is basically what I’m dealing with. I try to calm her down just walking her on the lead going round in circles, changing direction etc but she can’t get off the lead quick enough. Do you think I have walk her more often each day or would giving her a lickimat or toy help to occupy her mind? At the moment she’s very calm and a different dog. Maybe I’m looking for a quick fix. I’ve had several labs and they were never like Abby. She is a working strain lab so perhaps that’s got something to do with it. I’m just going to work away slowly and be patient. Basically, you are saying that I should walk her on the lead to all sorts of places, i.e. in the village, shops, garden centre etc until she gets used to these situations.

Not exactly, you will have to gradually work up to those places so that means you only move from the situation you are in if she is listening to you. If you move to another new place and she does not listen, then you have moved too fast. Gradually train her in new situations, on leash. If you want her to be able to run, then get a 30 foot training leash.

I have had a couple of dogs that got excited over things, and what I did was give them a stuffed duck to carry and that really helped. But is sounds like this pup sees you as being able to get away with things.

So when you get to the woods, after you have gradually moved up to that point, train her there, but don't let her off leash. Just train her close to the car and then leave. Gradually you will move further into the woods.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Sally, I will go and do that and will get her stuffed duck. Thanks for your help

You are very welcome.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****