DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

She seems to be jealous when I interact with others - humans

Customer Question

Hi, she seems to be jealous when I interact with others - humans and dogs and it’s causing me stress - particularly if we have visitors or if I take her for a walk she no longer just sniffs other dogs, she reacts aggressively
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: molly will be 2 in September, this has been getting progressively worse for about 4 months she used to love her walks and had no issues interacting with other dogs we left her for 10 days to go on holiday and it’s gotten worse since we came back. She said with my aunt and uncle who looked after her well and took her for walks
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with her aggression?
Customer: When she growls at family members I deal with it by telling her to go to her bed or if she’s on the couch or close by me I tell her to get down and we ignore her. I’m really concerned about her biting someone as she’s bit all of us at some point in the past 6 months but it’s always unexpected
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly, she’s a lhasapoo and she’s almost 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Molly?
Customer: shes a clever cookie and adorable most of the time
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We didn’t crate train her as a puppy. She sleeps in our room on our bed and we are in the process of training her to sleep in her bed or on the floor.
She spends a lot of time during the day - if we are working, lying at the window and barking at anyone going past the house
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi are you still there?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 10 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

It seems your girl Molly is getting more aggressive. She is two years old and you are continuing to train her.

Can you tell me a bit about her temperament, Meaning is she shy, fearful or anxious at all?

When she goes after people, are you next to her?

Did your Aunt and Uncle have any issues with her when they watched her?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, she isn’t shy. She loves it when family visit. I think she is anxious. She seems to not like me petting other dogs or getting too close to other dogs and that’s when she reacts. My husband took her out a walk this morning and she saw another dog and wouldn’t move, she started shaking so he brought her home. He seems to be able to approach other dogs with her but to be honest he’s been avoiding other dogs just in case. She used to approach other dogs, have a sniff and be on her way - now she has a sniff and gets aggressive - which is so upsetting as I know that’s not really who she is. My aunt said that she didn’t eat for the first 3 days we were on holiday. She stuck to her side and if my uncle got to close she would let off a wee growl - however she was quite happy to spend time with my uncle on his own and he took her for long walks. She bit my nephew on the last day of our holiday, my aunt said it that he surprised her and she snapped - she does that, she snaps out of the blue or jumps up as though she’s been startled when there is no one near her.
Thank you for that information. It does sound like you have a dog that has become more fearful as these are the typical acts of a fearful /anxious dog.

They usually do not eat when they are left with someone else until they see a routine and they will nip or give a warning growl when something they fear comes next to them, especially without warning.

Dogs will act out at people or dogs moving past home to keep them away from them. They do not realize that the people will walk on by anyway, they think their acting out is what made who they feared not come near them. This also applies to the street, the more aggressive they act, the more they are successful in keeping what they fear away from them.

This can be inherent and if so, it will get worse between ages 1 and 2 years, then get progressively worse as they age.

Fear is an emotion, this kicks in the dog's instinct to protect itself..

Many people feel their dog acts out because it is protecting the owner, but in reality, the dog does not want someone in their space. Usually the dog is by the owner's side, so this makes it look like the dog does not want others near their human.

Dogs with fear need to be warned what is expected of them or what the human wants them to do. For instance, if the dog ia on the couch, and a human wants to sit on the couch, just sitting down may get the dog to bite them.  The dog needs to be told to get off the couch, before someone sits.

Even if one has been sitting on the couch and the dog has been laying on the couch, when the person gets up or tries to pet them, that is movement getting into their space and that can trigger a nip.

It is best to do what you have been doing at home, getting the dog used to it's own bed and when you have company, they should ignore the dog totally if the dog has not been put in another room or crated.

There are things humans do that challenge a dog, reaching out to, walking toward, looking at, and talking to. These are challenges to any dog, but if the temperament is stable happy go lucky, then there are no issues. But if a dog has fear, then instinct will kick in.

They don't think ahead like we do. An example is that you are talking to a friend, the dog is near you,  and the friend drops their keys.  You  know the next move is going to be that your friend will bend down and pick up their keys. The dog however, see this as that person  leaning over them and getting in their space and then they will act on that.

When you take the dog for a walk, your best bet is to  make sure the dog knows a well learned heal and leave it command. When you see another dog coming, you want to put as much distance between you and the other dog and use those commands.   Once this becomes a normal and routine thing, then your dog will feel safer and not act out so much.

Also please know that all dogs go through fear imprints from birth to age four. A  dog that does not have fears/anxiety may be affected by these imprints for only as long as they last, which could be a week.  A fearful or anxious dog carry those imprints around for a very long time and they eventually build up in the brain and this is why they ger worse over time.

Most humans do not recognize a fear imprint, they just see their dog as not wanting to do something that it has done before. So they try to force or entice the dog which is the wrong thing to do and makes a dog worse.