DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

My Dog just bit my wife and still wanting to go for her

Customer Question

My Dog just bit my wife and still wanting to go for her every time she gets near, we’re scared as she is pregnant and we have a little daughter that he already snapped at. Cant get any help anywhere
JA: We like to be extra careful with pregnancies, so I'll need to connect you with the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share about the situation?
Customer: He’s a re home dog and quite a nervous dog. We wanted to give him a chance of a better life but it came to the point that we’re just scared he might go after us again
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We’ve been trying to contact shelters but we couldn’t find anyone that will take him
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 14 days ago.

Hello! Thanks for writing in to Just Answer. My name is***** (AKACustomer, and I have been in the dog field for 30 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. I will do my best to answer all your questions today.

Please give me a few moments to read over your questions and then ask additional questions If needed.

So in reading your question is seems you have an anxious dog.

These are the worst dogs to have around children. Dogs that are anxious generally trust one person in the home more than others. They need to see consistency and children do not show consistency with their high pitched squeals and sudden movements.

Have you contacted the shelter that you got him from?

Have you put any ads in the paper?

Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 13 days ago.

It seems you have not responded to my questions so I can only give you general information.

Fearful dogs do not do well with  children and what makes it worse is that a child does not know how to read a dog's body language.

I would try the rescue where you adopted the dog from and I would put adds in the paper to try to find it a home.

I certainly appreciate when people try to save a dog, but when you have a family, you want to be sure to pick out the right dog. Having a dog temperament tested by a local trainer can help you not pick out a fearful dog. Fearful dogs often need a home that really understands what a fearful dog goes through.

I would also worry about your kids as they grow and want friends over. That would not be a good situation for a fearful dog.

Please let me know if you have any questions .