DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

She nips at people and children if they are running or

Customer Question

She nips at people and children if they are running or playing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this nipping? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: it started very young and it happens all the time
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with her nipping?
Customer: nothing has helped
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bella?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 6 days ago.

Hello! Thanks for writing in to Just Answer. My name is***** (AKACustomer, and I have been in the dog field for 30 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. I will do my best to answer all your questions today.

Please give me a few moments to read over your questions and then ask additional questions If needed.

In reading your question it seems Bella is nipping at moving people. Bella is only 9 months old at this time.

Can you tell me what breed of dog Bella is?

What have you tried so far to have her stop?

What commands does she know?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Bella is a border collie pup . We have tried to recall her when we see a child running near by or use squeaky toys to distract her which helps most of the time . But fails if people get to close or come into our home . We have bought a mussel but she really hasn’t adjusted to it yet . She knows recall , sit , lay down , stay , leave it , paw , up , down but when she gets in that mind set she doesn’t listen . She is the same with cars as well

Thank you, ***** ***** me a few minutes to type your answer.

The dog is only 9 months old so that is not a long enough time to fully know a leave it command. This is the command you would want to use for herding dogs that chase.

What you need to do is get a 30 foot training lead and train the dog a leave it in every area the dog presents a problem Most  people just teach the dog a very brief leave it, and do not train the dog in a all areas they will bring the dog.

She is a herding dog and it is her instinct to herd what moves. Leave it can stop car chasing, dog/wild animal  chasing, and more. As for the something moving, practice first with a remote control car in a quiet area such as your garden, so the dog understands it cannot chase. Then take the dog out where she chases people and cars and train there.

The more distracting  the area gets for the dog, the better the reward has to be for her obeying your command.

When you think of a service /assistance dog, they only concentrate on the owner that need them. This is because we train the dogs in every area the person who gets the dog may go and teach all commands in those places.

Is this making sense?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I understand . So I will get her a long lead and slowly build up to her leaving things ?

Yes,  you will start at the 6 foot mark then go to 10 ft then to 20 foot etc.  and gradually work up to the end. This will show the dog that when you say leave it, you still have control over her if she does not listen.  Training leads that are light weight are the best so the dog forgets they have it on.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you so much . So this comes from her natural instinct to heard . The only problem is she is a very timid dog and isn’t the most food oriented

Then you may have to find something that will make her feel she is doing the right thing. That could be praise or a specific toy.

It may also help if you don't feed her a meal before you train so she is hungry. Chicken slivers are usually a good reward. Maybe if she is hungry she will eat those.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Agh okay thank you , she does respond well to praise and we didn’t use food for the rest of her training as she wasn’t interested . Overtime will she just learn to not chase it before hand or will I always have to command leave it , cause the problem before was kids would run past quickly before I got a chance to respond

That depends on the dog. My dog liked to go after cars, so we worked in town long enough so that he just stopped wanting to chase them

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh okay thank you . How long does it usually take for them to learn in general . Thankfully she is a pretty quick learning but I understand you have to be consistent

Each dog varies. We teach the Service dogs this command in every training session for 2 1/2 years.  But I think your dog will get it once it is practiced in the right spot:)

Customer: replied 4 hours ago.
Okay thank you . I was also wondering how to help with social anxiety around dogs and people , she only tends to stick to us and avoids people and most dogs altogether x
Customer: replied 4 hours ago.
social anxiety when leaving her , she wines and Howells when not there x
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 3 hours ago.

So it seems like your dog has fears and anxiety so it will likely never be comfortable around anything it fears. That could be people. pets. noises etc.  Dogs that have fear and anxiety only get worse over time because all dogs go through fear imprints which really affects a fearful dog. They need to see consistent people and places in their life and the general public does not show consistency.

anything that goes beyond the scope of your original question, the company prefers you open a whole new question.  Separation anxiety goes beyond the scope of your original question

You can try behavior adjustment training, but in most cases unless you are doing the same thing every day, the dog is not going to see consistency. This is an extremely slow process that you cannot rush.

Training method BAT

https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5k2tIkXMY

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is***** (AKA,Customer

Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
Thank you so much !

You are very welcome. it was a pleasure doing business with you.