Family Physician
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the stupid mistake of using diazapam on a daily basis for about 3 weeks. About 20-40mg a day. This resulted in someone noticing my changed relaxed behaviour. I have denied the extent of the use but have admitted to using it a few times. This was 4 weeks ago. My social worker is now insisting on blood testing for alcohol to check I did not lapse back into drinking. (Which I am unconcerned about as I did not drink at all). The test they are asking for is a liver function test LFT). My question is will this test show up the extent of my diazapam use. I am now not using and back into recovery. The last diazapam I took was 2 weeks ago. The only other drug I am on is an antidepressant.
I'm glad to hear that you stopped using the Diazepam. Urine tests can detect use (but would not be able to determine the daily dose) for several weeks, but a liver function test would not be affected by the use of Diazepam 2-4 weeks previously.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So to clarify taking up to 40mg and occasionally 50mg of un-prescribed diazapam for a few weeks would not effect my liver function test results. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I'm sorry for the delay - I was traveling today, and just now arrived where I could access my computer.

No - I would not expect an significant effect on liver function tests based on this use.