Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I got a Blood alcohol reading of 151 mlg which is

Customer Question

I got a Blood alcohol reading of 151 mlg which is impossible.Blood test was taken 7 hours after last drink.5 pints of 5% lager, I weigh 9 stone on empty stomach.The blood test is bent.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

This blood level is not impossible. You do not say how long you were drinking, but if you were drinking the 5 pints over 2 hours, the average blood alcohol level would be 212 for someone of your gender and weight. However, there is some variability from one person to another and can be as high as 310. If the drinking was over a different number of hours, then the levels would be different.

These levels are the levels at the end of the two hours of drinking. Seven hours later, the level would be lower. On average, the level would decrease by 15 per hour, or 105 over 7 hours. So, based on the average level after drinking, the average level 7 hours later would be 107. But the level could be as high as 205, based on the higher end of the potential range.

If the time that you spent drinking the 5 pints was significantly different than the two hours that I used in the calculations, then let me know and I can calculate again, but unless the time was very different, it is likely that the level that was obtained was not impossible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Me drinking 5 pints in 2 hours I'm not even tipsy, so 151 is to high, and the sample I sent off was 140 and my sample wasn't in the fridge and it travelled to two different places including a flight. So this tells me stuff has happened to my blood.The police test is so wonky, I hit about 130 mlg in 2 hours so I'll be left with under 40.

You cannot judge blood alcohol levels by whether you feel tipsy.

You may have a valid argument about the test based on how the sample was handled, but not based on an argument that the level, itself, is impossible.