Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Hi there. My Kindle screen appears cracked from the inside.

Hi there.
My Kindle screen appears cracked from the inside. There is no visible damage, and I can charge it and turn it on. The top right diagonal of the screen looks like a combination of background fields, and my book list appears in the bottom left diagonal of the screen. If I try to read, only half the screen appears, slashed diagonally from left top to bottom right.
I have tried to reboot, but the screen reappears in this way. How can you help?
Steve G. :

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Steve G. :

Now..

Steve G. :

Is this a black and white 'E-Ink' screen? Or a color screen Kindle?

Customer:

black and white

Steve G. :

Ok, was the Kindle dropped?

Customer:

black and white E-ink

Steve G. :

Right, do you know how it was damaged?

Customer:

Yes.

Steve G. :

Also, about how old is the Kindle?

Customer:

Maybe three years.

Steve G. :

Ok, so it is unlikely that Amazon will replace it free of charge.

Customer:

What is the outside limit for replacement?

Steve G. :

You stated that you had rebooted it. Was this by holding the power button ON for 35-40 seconds?

Customer:

Are there repair facilities in Gauteng, South Africa? Yes I followed the correct procedure for rebooting.

Steve G. :

In all honesty, nobody repairs Kindles except maybe changing out the battery. They are sold at a loss in the first place with the hope of making it back from book and app sales.

Steve G. :

Especially a damaged screen - the screen is the most expensive component of the Kindle.

Steve G. :

Unfortunately

Steve G. :

It sounds like you are going to have to replace it - I know that is not what you wanted to hear but if you COULD find a repair station, I'm sure the cost would exceed that of a new one.

Steve G. :

Here in the US, the basic Kindle is $69 which is about the cost of a meal and drinks for two at a pub.

Steve G. :

Nobody can repair one and be competetive. My company charges $100 per hour for labor.

Customer:

OK, Steve. Thanks for the info. Nicola will be in the US at the end of the month. She can take it from there. (This is her mom).