Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

There is a blank in the middle of the page - I am not

There is a blank in the middle of the page - I am not technical (age 89!)
Assistant: When did you last charge your e-reader?
Customer: It is fully charged - it was about 80% before this happened and I have since charged it fully in case that was the reason
Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?
Customer: Is that the on/off switch?
Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - as I said, I am not technical and need a simple explanation

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).

If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Are you at the Kindle and able to try those steps?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried those steps and will try again. I have printed your reply and if I have no success will ask my son to try and sort it out for me

Okay, the reboot should clear the blank part of the screen, if it does not then it indicates a hardware fault with your Kindle and would require repairs/replacement of the device.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that the site credits me for working with you today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am rather deaf so not keen on a phone call but will get my son to call if he can't sort it out.

I'm not sending the phone offer- the website is. You can ignore it.