How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rusty Your Own Question
Rusty, Music Professional
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Satisfied Customers: 5977
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
Type Your Electronic Musical Instruments Question Here...
Rusty is online now

My KKR107 piano lower A key often comes out suddenly loud.

This answer was rated:

My KKR107 piano lower A key often comes out suddenly loud. There are no Roland technicians in my are (Cambridge UK) anymore. I have already had it fixed twice (before the technician retired) but it's still happening. Roland seem provide no help at all. Can I do anything, or do I have to buy a new piano (if so it will probably be a Yamaha).

Hello, my name is Rusty. You can fix this at home, it's a maintenance item that needs to be replaced. Please reply that you are able to use simple tools, and have basic electronics experience, and I'll tell you the repair process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I'm a beginner in electronics, 72 and nervous but willing. Is it worth the risk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or maybe if you tell me what part I need I can get it and find someone more competent than me to do the job?

Absolutely, I'll tell you what needs to be done, and you can determine whether you can do the work, or if someone can do it for you. Give me just a few minutes to type this up. Thanks for your patience, I was on a meal break.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of course you are allowed to eat!

All of the screws on the bottom of the piano need to be removed.

This will allow you to flip up the top of the piano, and it will expose the backs of the keys.

There are velocity sensitive pads that the keys hit when you strike a key. They can go bad, but they are replaceable.

You can order them from Roland, 01792 702701.

They are little rubber pads, they are not complicated to replace. If you do the repair yourself, be sure to unplug the keyboard and turn the power switch on to drain any residual power.

Once you replace the pads, the keyboard should function normally. Let me know if you have any questions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. Do I need to know any special detail about the type,size etc?

No, that's about it. It's a maintenance item, so they're fairly easy to get to. As long as you can use a screwdriver, and don't touch the electronics, you can do this repair. Roland will know which part number to send you, all of the pads are the same in the keyboard, so you don't even need to order a certain note. The notes are in the circuitry, the pads are just triggers for the circuitry.

Rusty and other Electronic Musical Instruments Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Rusty. that should sort me out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty
We are going to attempt this tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome. I have sought the aid of an expert who is about 15 years old. I suspect he will be more confident that I am about it all.Best wishesMartin (If we are still in touch)

Just please remember to drain the power before opening it up. Don't touch anything you don't have to, and it should go well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty. I don;t know if you are still about, but we are having a bit of trouble tryin gto get the keyboard up. Scared of doing something disastrous! We have taken out quite a few screws from under it - you said remove them all. But there seem to be some that connect to little PCBs and things. If you are around it woudl be lovely to get some guidance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to arrange a phone call. I have a rather wonderful 16 year old future engineer helping me.

Hi, I'm on the West coast, USA, so we have a bit of a time difference. Could you possibly snap a picture and send it to me? I agree, the PCBs should stay in place. The top display flips up when you get the correct screws removed. That should be a decent guide, all you need is for the display to flip up to access the backs of the keys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty. All done. Phew! Thanks again

I'm glad it worked out! Thanks for using JustAnswer! I've been here since 2011, and I'll be here anytime you need my help. :-)