Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Fender Passport 150 PRO music PA kit which has

Customer Question

I have a Fender Passport 150 PRO music PA kit which has recently failed to work (ie: quite dead). I suspect a power supply fault but on visual inspection of PCBs I can see nothing burned. Can you recommend an electronics engineer/technician who could check it over please?
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: With microphone and speakers connected- absolutely nothing.
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Fender Passport 150 PRO, serial number:CGPK10026010
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I discovered no voltage at the output of its mains input socket- thought there was something wrong with it (did not realise at that point that there was a 4A fuse incorporated in the socket (which had blown) and hard wired a bypass. On switching on there was a sharp bang/crack and a smell of burning plastic the again dead. I'm kicking myself for not exercising greater caution. I can see no sibgn of , say, a burst capacitor of burned resistor but have no way of checking semiconductors. The kit was manufactured in 2011 so, though quite complex, components are relatively discrete on single sided PCBs.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have replaced two electrolytic capacitors which looked as though they were leaking but on closer inspection this turned out to be like dried up evostic adhesive, so was not a cause. However some kind of fault must have caused the fuse to blow.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

What postcode area are you located in?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

If you are in or near the Surrey area you can take or send it to Surrey Amps:

https://www.surreyamps.co.uk/amplifier-repairs/guitar-amp-repairs/fender-repairs

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Post code: PE13 5PQ
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
In your area you can contact
Andrew Hicks Electrical Repairs ***** Long Sutton, Spalding PE12 9JU
Telephone: 01406 366723