Rusty Hoyle
Rusty Hoyle, Expert
Experience:  Electronics Expert at Justanswer.com
63817454

I have the original SG 1D (?). Probably had it 30+ years. I

Customer Question

I have the original SG 1D (?). Probably had it 30+ years. I have a couple of sticking keys, I think because guitar plectrums have fallen between keys.
JA: What's the brand and model of your instrument?
Customer: I’m wondering if I can remove a cover to expose the keys and remove the plectrums?
JA: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe a year? Tried nothing. Just lived with it!
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so. Thanks.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rusty Hoyle replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry for the delay, I've been working in the field.

You can remove the keyboard assembly fairly easily. Turn the keyboard upside down, and remove all of the screws from the bottom. Now remove the screws on the sides, and you'll be able to flip the display up to expose the keyboard assembly screws. Remove the screws that hold the keyboard assembly in place, and be careful not to disrupt the ribbon cables, as they are old and are easy to crack.

Inspect the sticky keys, sometimes they break, and need replacement. Use DeOxit (you can buy it at electronics stores, it's like WD-40 for electronics) to lubricate the keys, and restore the action.