Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Mastering Engineer
Experience:  Audio mastering engineer, experienced with recording, mixing, mastering, instruments and vst plugins. Just ask me:)
78122054

My wife has a Yamaha Arius S52 piano. There are 4 adjacent

Customer Question

My wife has a Yamaha Arius S52 piano. There are 4 adjacent keys not working in one section and 3 adjacent keys not working in another. I have taken the bottom grey cover off and now planning on removing the hardboard black back cover to look at from behind. There are lots of screws on this panel and did not want to remove them all without a bit of advice please. Thank you Dave
JA: How long has this been going on with your Arius? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried blowing the keys with an air compressor hose. It has only just happened in last week.
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 year ago.

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** and I am a tech expert with 19 years of experience.

Can you please let me know what exact help you are looking for with this / the screws?

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorenz, thank you for your message. I have taken the back off the piano now and everything seems to work manually, but not getting any sound from 4 white & 2 black keys adjacent to each other and 3 white keys & 2 black keys on another section of the keyboard. Would appreciate any advice on what to do next please. Thanks Dave

Thank you for the pictures. I am not an expert on this model and will, for now, opt-out for another expert to help you instead so that you can get the best help possible. Thank you for your understanding...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time Lorenz

You are most welcome. No other expert did "pick up" your question in over a day of time, so I am checking back in to see if you have made any progress yet. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lorenz, I stripped the piano down as far as I could without doing irreparable damage. Mechanically it all looks okay, but I managed to get to some compressed air further inside at different angles, but did not solve the issue. My instinct tells me that the problem is related to the small PCB’s located under the front of the piano keys, but I have no idea how to access this easily. Do you know if the keys can be removed from the top to access this way? Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply and "good" to hear you were able to get inside things a bit deeper. Sorry to hear it did not solve the issue. Yes, to me it also sounds like an issue with the PCB, possibly you might need to get a replacement, or are you familiar with repairing PCBs on your own? On this piano, I am not exactly sure how the keys can be removed, to be honest. However, one more idea: have you tried using some contact-spray on the keys/PCB contact surfaces yet?

Lorenz