Rusty Hoyle
Rusty Hoyle,
Experience:  Electronics Expert at Justanswer.com
63817454

I have a Kawai KDP80 digital piano and I'm trying to connect

Customer Question

I have a Kawai KDP80 digital piano and I'm trying to connect it via the midi ports to my laptop, and I'm failing miserably.
JA: What's the brand and model of your instrument?
Customer: Kawai KDP80
JA: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have downloaded the KDP80 manual and followed instructions to change output to 'external' i.e. midi. I have downloaded MIDI-OX on my laptop.
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty Hoyle replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Which device are you using to connect your keyboard to your computer? Which version of Windows/Mac are you running?

The USB midi interfaces are particular, and the cheap, non-branded ones don't work well. The Roland Um-One MKII is built for connecting midi pianos to a computer. It's compatible with every newer operating system (there's an older version as well). Just connect the Um One to your computer, install the driver, and then it becomes your midi device.

In your piano, just set the midi xmit and receive to channel 1, and you're ready to start recording. Let me know if you have any questions.