Rusty Hoyle
Rusty Hoyle,
Experience:  Electronics Expert at Justanswer.com
63817454

The keys are a bit stiff when instrument hasn’t been used

Hi. The keys are a bit stiff when instrument hasn’t been used for say 12 hours. They loosen up after being depressed 2 or 3 times.
JA: What's the brand and model of your instrument?
Customer: Yamaha CLP685
JA: How long has this been going on with your CLP685? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I noticed it for the last 6 months. I got a Yamaha technician in. He opened it up, took apart the keys and oiled them. It seemed to help for a few weeks but the problem is back.
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I bought it new 18 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sticky keys can be caused by a couple of things. First, it could be that they just have gunk between the keys. You can spray Deoxit D5 between the keys (with the piano unplugged), and press the keys to break up any gunk that's in there. If there are hard pieces, use a flat screwdriver to pry the keys slightly to free up any debris.

It can also be caused by cracks in the keys. You can fix these at home as well, please watch this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiLstUfiX4

You can order new keys here:

UK 0344(###) ###-####from the UK or###-##-####from the Republic of Ireland - Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm (4.30pm on Friday).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Rusty. The keys are not sticky as such. It’s an issue throughout the range of the instrument. The action is heavier which then loosens up and then plays fine after depressing each key 2 or 3 times.

The Deoxit should help. It not only cleans, it also lubricates the keys. There are mechanical parts under the keys, so the friction points aren't only between the keys. Use the Deoxit, it's like WD40, but safe for electronics.

As long as the keys aren't sticking part way down, or not pressing at all, I don't think you have broken keys. However, the sticking problem you describe is how they break (there was a bad design in the resin of these keys). Using Deoxit will clean up the action.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.