Rusty Hoyle
Rusty Hoyle,
Experience:  Electronics Expert at Justanswer.com
63817454

I am working with CUBASE Pro 10.5 and only bought it

I am working with CUBASE Pro 10.5 and only bought it recently. It was working perfectly fine until I plugged in some headphones into the normal headphone jack on my laptop (Windows Surface 6) and suddenly when I went to play back my track, I couldn't hear anything. Taking them out again, there was still no audio. If CUBASE is open, I cannot hear anything on Spotify, YouTube etc. yet when it is closed I can hear on those perfectly fine. What would you suggest for correcting this?
JA: What is your Cabasse connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?
Customer: I don't have an audio interface and haven't set up my microphone yet. It is a laptop so isn't connected to anything
JA: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?
Customer: No - I wasn't aware that you could install CUBASE onto multiple devices
JA: Anything else you want the Audio/Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My laptop has all the system requirements for CUBASE 10.5 pro. Will they want to remotely connect to my laptop?

Hello, my name is*****'m a sound engineer, I work with inputs and outputs on computers, all the way up to large concert speaker systems. There are 2 places where the audio output can change in your computer when Cubase is open.

1. Go into your input/output (I/O) settings in Cubase. Choose your output device, and select the outptut you want to use. These are selectable, so if you change something you can always change it back.

2. Your Windows also has input/output settings. Right click your speaker icon near your clock, and select PLAYBACK DEVICES. Choose the same one you chose in Cubase, and click SET AS DEFAULT. This will output your sound to the device you choose.

Now would be a great time to get used to routing your inputs and outputs. When you get an interface, you'll need to set the inputs, and if you plug your speakers into the interface (recommended for audio quality), you'll want to set each of those settings to your new interface.

Audio can be routed, you just have to tell it where to go. The I/O settings in Cubase and right clicking the speaker icon near your Windows clock are the two places where you route input and output devices. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi there! Thank you for getting back to me. The photo I am sending shows the I/O settings on CUBASE - does this look correct? This shows the inputs - outputs show the same thing. The only one I have the option to change is the ‘device port’ column which is confusing me. Also, when I right click on the speaker icon there is no option PLAYBACK DEVICES.
Thank you for helping out!

You must have Windows 10, select Open Sound Settings when you right click the speaker icon. That will show you the output devices.

Don't change the device port. This will make sense if you get an interface that has more than 2 inputs. The device port is the input channel. Say you have an 8 input interface, that will allow you to select which of the 8 input ports you used to connect your instruments.

I believe you'll find the problem in your input devices at the speaker icon. If that doesn't help, then Cubase is really searching for an interface. Once you get one, and set your default output device as the interface in your Windows settings, and in Cubase. Then it won't change. The problem you're having right now is Cubase is changing Windows settings, it's not used to running without an interface.

Also, I noticed that the picture only shows your inputs. Click the output tab at the top of the page. That will show you your output settings.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ah that makes more sense now - thank you very much! I will try that.

You are very welcome. Just get used to the difference between input and output, and the similarities between the I/O settings in Cubase and Windows. The output settings will match in both Cubase and Windows, but the inputs you can assign to whichever track you want, by choosing the port in Cubase. You also have an input device setting in your Windows sound settings. As long as you know this part of studio engineering well, you should be just fine.