How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pete Your Own Question
Pete, Engineer
Category: Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 19380
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
Type Your Electronics Question Here...
Pete is online now

I have a Samsung Galaxy Camera which went into the sea and

This answer was rated:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Camera which went into the sea and the insides are now corroded. I have sent it to DV AVS (authorised repair centre for Samsung cameras UK), and they are not able to power it up. The photos on it are all saved to the camera, there was no SD card in it. I need to know if there is anyone out there who can retrieve the data for me as there are some very precious photos on there taken just before my husband drowned after swimming out to rescue our sons who were caught in a riptide. I have photos of what the engineer found when he opened the camera up, and it's quite a mess. Lots of white gunk all over the chips. Does anyone have a contact for a senior engineer at Samsung I could contact directly please, or any ideas for someone who might be able to help? Thanks, Amanda
Hi Amanda,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.

As the camera is likely beyond repair to make it work again, the only other way I can think of to retrieve the photos off it is to have the internal memory removed and fitted into an identical camera instead.
This will then allow the replacement camera to be powered up and the photos can be retrieved.
A local electronics repair shop should be able to assist with the transfer of the memory from the old camera to the new one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If a local electronics repair shop could simply remove the internal memory and put it into a new camera the authorised UK repair centre for Samsung cameras would have done that. Apparently the chips are not easy to remove, and require expensive equipment to get one off the board, even if they did know which one contained the data - I think my only hope is to get someone at Samsung to do this, but it is impossible to find a contact. That is really why I first asked the question, to see if anyone knew someone in Samsung I could contact directly.

Hi Amanda,
it's unlikely that anyone in Samsung will take this on, as they are a large organisation and it is difficult to get them to do a one-off job like this, and as you have discovered, it is impossible to get a contact who is willing to help - that is the problem with large, faceless organisations. The chips are not easy to remove, but it can be done by an electronics repair specialist who is familiar in this type of work, and a local repair shop should either be able to do it for you, or point you in the right direction - they will be much more flexible and will be able to offer this type of service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete

Really? But the repair centre that I have already sent the camera to told me that they cannot remove the chips themselves as these chips are quite specialised, not like the old types of chips that could be unplugged and plugged in again. They said the equipment to remove these chips would cost thousands and they don't have it. There is no other authorised repair centre for Samsung cameras in the UK. But although the repair centre that Samsung recommend do not have the equipment, a local repair centre will? This sounds unlikely, but I will try. I just don't seem to be getting any further, and this was a desperate try to see if anyone knew how to get these photos.... Hmm, looks like I will not find my answer here, but thank you for trying.

Hi Amanda,
The repair centre will need to use a rework system to reflow the board and remove the chip. This is a delicate process, but I have actually carried it out myself several times, and a skilled electronics technician with the appropriate equipment will be able to do it quite easily.
If you let me know your nearest town, I can ask around to see who specialises in this type of repair near you.

Pete and other Electronics Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, Pete. I live in Market Harborough, in Leicestershire in the UK.


Best wishes, Amanda

Hi Amanda,
The closest company who would be able to help you is Greasley Electronics, located in Coalville -