*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.

I have a 50 inch Samsung led backlight tv just over 5 years

I have a 50 inch Samsung led backlight tv just over 5 years old. I have been told the backlight needs replacing as the picture doesn't come on. Sound is ok but no picture
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Can you shine a light on the screen and see the picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, have you tried a new input cable? If not try a different input source cable or try a different source like a DVD, etc.
This does not sound like a back light issue, it is most likely the video board.
It will be an inexpensive repair if it is the video board. The only repair that is will cost more than replacement is if the actual led panel has failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried through the dvd & Apple tv but the picture still doesn't work. I disconnected everything. Is the input cable the power lead?

No, sorry. I was referring to the video source input cable. If you have tried the different sources already, then the most likely issue is the main video circuit board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thanks

Your welcome!
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!