Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer

On 3/4th Jan I lost all my emails and folders etc from both

On 3/4th Jan I lost all my emails and folders etc from both my laptop and iPad, they disappeared before my eyes. My latest emails have been doing the same before my eyes. I had my iPad checked our and accessed my account from the Apple shop, I still couldn't get into my saved emails. Has a block been put on my account? Joan.
Hi there and welcome
Can you tell me please for which email service this is for? eg: Gmail, Hotmail ect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So to check, you can sign into your Gmail account, and you see an email arrive but then it dissapears correct?
Or you cannot sign into your account at all now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I signed in on 4th Jan I watched all emails disappear including files as I opened them. Now the emails disappear at intervals of about 4 days.
You may have a filter or forward on.
In Gmail, click on the gear wheel in the top right, then settings.
Click on Filters. Are any filters listed there?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is on both my iPad and on my PC. I had the iPad checked at the apple shop and they said the problem was with the server.
yes, this is why I am having you check the server...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't afford an extra £28 sorry
Thats ok, it is OPTIONAL else please do the instructions I gave you.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay, no filters shown
Go to forwarding and tell me if any forwarding is enabled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what is next to When messages are accessed with POP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
keep Gmail's copy in the box,
ok, all the settings are correct so its going to be a device thats connecting to it.
Which email program is installed on the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Google account but it says import from Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL or other webmail or PoP accounts
No, I need to know what email program you use on your computer to access your Google Account.
Windows Live Mail, Outlook 2010?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows live
please click on this link
And follow the instructions to tell windows live mail to leave the emails on the server. It is likely here that they are getting removed on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Completely lost, windows live is on my programmes but there is no account or toolbar, got Live call, messenger,movie maker photo gallery and writer.
You see no accounts lists in windows live mail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No where can I go the confirm which programme I am using to access gmail.
Sorry I do not understand your last message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Internet explorer listed on my programmes as well as Windows Live. Sorry I am so dense when you are 77 it is a bit difficult to deal with things that go wrong.
ok, but then I need to know which program you use to access gmail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It seems to be Google chrome
ok, on your iPad we will add the account back to it to correct the settings.
Go to settings, Mail and press on the gmail account and press Delete account.
Then go to settings, Mail and add the email account back to it.
Let me know when you have please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done that
Are there any other devices connecting to the account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By devices do you mean email accounts because I added an icloud account to the ipad but not the PC a few days ago
No, like an iphone or another computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No nothing else
ok, we have redone the settings and by default it will not remove the emails.
It should now be ok. I advise to use this form here to try to get the missing emails returned.
Allow up to 48 hours and if the emails can be returned, then they will be put back into your account.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the smiley faces then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.