How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Technician
Category: Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 2159
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
Type Your Electronics Question Here...
JamesI is online now

I wish to capture Mini Video DV tape to my pc. can this be

This answer was rated:

I wish to capture Mini Video DV tape to my pc. can this be achieved via Cassette recorder model HR_DVS3EK? If so how do I do this?
***** *****

Hi Andrew,

The JVC HR_DVSEK will play the Mini DV tapes, you then need to find a suitable output from the VCR.

I would suggest you use CVBS (known as video out), which would require you purchasing a SCART adapter such as the one here, which would plug into the SCART output on the VCR at one end, and into the computer at the other.

Next you would need a suitable video input adaptor for your PC, I would suggest something like the one here, as its USB so can be used on any PC\Laptop.

To record the mini DV onto your PC, you would run the software which comes with the video input adapter on the PC, set the SCART adaptor to output, and press play on your VCR at which point the video and audio content is then displayed on the PC at which point you can record it.

The total cost would be less than £10 and if ordered over the weekend should be with you by the end of the week.

Please let me know if you need anything clarified.


JamesI and 2 other Electronics Specialists are ready to help you

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last few days, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance, I would appreciate it if you could rate the service received.

Many thanks


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't responded earlier because was away at weekend. I was hoping that I could use the Firewire connection which would, I understand, provide a higher quality transfer to the PC, but I'll give your suggestion a try and if any further problems will contact you again. Thanks for your help

No problem, you could use the DV output from the front of the machine, but this would be rather costly.

If you find the quality of the recording via the scart output is unsatisfactory the next step would be to use the DV port, but as most machines do not have \ support firewall these days you may end up having to be a DV input adaptor such as the one here on ebay.

You will also need the approved JVR DV cable VC-VDV204, which can be sourced from here for £5.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found in the end that your comments were not as helpful as they might have been! All I needed was a 'Legacy' driver, which I downloaded for nothing from Microsoft!

Firewire is an obsolete connection, in hindsight I could have checked if you had a firewire connection on your machine.

I am glad you managed to source a driver, and had a compatible JVR DV cable, however not confident this is a better solution (all be it cheaper), from experience a lot of the time using this interface you have video\audio sync issues, but glad it worked out ok in your instance.