JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

My model no is ue40es5500 when i try to connect to catch up

my model no is ue40es5500 when i try to connect to catch up it comes up with a message saying plug in network cable or a wireless lan adapter i havent changed anything for the 3 years we have owned the tv dont know why this is happening. regards craig

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Was the TV working with same router/ modem before this problem occurred?

- Was the TV connected through wifi for internet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi shahid yes it was the same router and no it is not connected to internet

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info. How the TV was connected to router for internet? WiFi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont think it was ever connected to internet or wifi Can you use catch up without either of these because we only ever use catchup on the tv

OK, please go to TV menu by pressing menu button on TV remote and find Network option, run it and select wireless network to establish wifi connection with your router.

Please reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i go to network settings or network status it says there is no network cable found all our other computers work and the router is showing blue which is correct

OK, it needs to select wireless network settings in menu to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have gone through the menu and cant find anything that says wireless network

Sorry to hear that, I'm working on it, give me few minutes to get back with you.

Please check if an Ethernet cable might be plugged into LAN port ta back of TV, pull it from TV to proceed.

Now go to Menu > Network > Network Settings > Start > Automatic Wireless Network Setup > OK

TV will show available networks/ router names nearby.

Click following link to download TV user manual copy and check page 195 for details..

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/03/0c/030cc6f6-d6c0-487e-9ee3-55f9b759987f.pdf

Please reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only cables in the back of the tv are audio in audio out, video and ant in

OK, did you try the suggestion mentioned in previous reply or written on TV user manual page 195?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i go into network settings it says no network cable or wireless lan adapter connected it wont move from cancel to start the cancel box is lit up but i cant get onto the start box there is no response

wireless lan adapter?

I think this TV has builtin wifi/ wireless lan adapter.

Can you please recheck your TV model number as it is listed ue40es5500 in question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next to device name in network it shows tv ue40es5500

Sorry about delayed reply, TV needs a wireless LAN adapter calls Dongle and model number is ***** Wireless LAN Adapter for wifi connection with router OR run Ethernet cable from modem into TV for wired internet connection.

Please click following link to view wireless LAN adapter info..

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/usb-wireless-lan-adapter-wis12abgnx/

and it is available with following supplier..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-WIS12ABGN-XEC-Allshare-Wireless/dp/B007E7QCAO/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1490224228&sr=1-1&keywords=WIS12ABGN%2FXEC

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.

Wireless LAN Adapter will be plugged into USB port of TV so it can get wifi signals of your router.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks shahid why would the tv suddenly need a lan adapter is it broke internally?

No, Samsung made mistake in TV specs info where it says TV has builtin wifi but in reality TV is wifi ready only that means it needs external LAN adapter for wifi connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why has it worked for 3years?

"i dont think it was ever connected to internet or wifi"

This is what was said during discussion and now I get "It has worked for 3 years".

Very confusing situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no reason to put a dongle on the tv it must be something else that is causing the problem

OK, I'm out of ideas what else it could be so let me opt out to repost this question for other experts to assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for trying to sort this problem out and for refering me to someone else
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you i will wait for the right person
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hi Craig,

For any catch up service to work the TV must have had access to the internet via wired (LAN) or Wireless (WLAN).

As my colleague Shahid advised the ES5500 model doesnt have an inbuilt wireless adaptor, so this leaves to believe either a wireless adapter was included when you purchased the TV and has come out of the USB socket it was seated in, and could be on the floor around the TV, or the wired LAN cable has come out of the back of the TV.

As such I would take another look at the back of the TV and see if there are any spare cables hanging lose (which would suggest a LAN cable) or any small devices with a USB connection on the floor which would suggest it being a WLAN adaptor.

Look forward to hearing from you

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi james sorry not got back pretty busy just looked at the back of the tv no hanging cables there is a connection for lan but there has never been anything in the socket one thing i found was a wireless lan adaptor on a usb that was plugged in could that be broke?

Hi Craig,

If the TV menu isnt showing the option to setup wireless it suggests the lan adaptor isnt being detected.

Most likely it has failed, however its worth turning the TV off, putting it into another USB socket and turning the TV back on and going back into network settings and see if there is an option to setup wireless.

Should you still not get a wireless option, it suggests the lan adaptor has failed, you can buy a replacement here, you can find cheaper ones for £10, but they are not always compatible.

James

JamesI, Technician
Experience: I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks james i will try that and get back to with results it will be tomorrow now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can somebody please thank shahid for trying to help me i have found out that i gave him the wrong information hence the reason he opted out and would rate him 5 stars
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you james i have replaced the lan connection and it is now working again thanks again for sorting this problem out for me also did you receive my email asking you to thank shahid for his time as i did give him the wrong information