Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Relay clicking when powered up. Effectively 42wlt66 HD TV

Relay clicking when powered up. Effectively 42wlt66 HD TV will not switch on. Clicking coming from second power supply board but cannot tell which component may be making the noise. Is there anything I can do or is it a write off? I could fix a dry joint
Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Toshiba 42wlt66 HD and probably more than 10 years old
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: problem just started today. I have the back off
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I could check voltages if required with a multimeter
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, the clicking will be coming from a relay.

Can you locate any relays and check those first?

Please confirm the part number of the board if you need further assistance troubleshooting it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
V28A00003601 or PE0071

Ok great.

You should see two black relays, circled in red on the following diagram - start by checking the solder joints on these.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will take some time to do this is a dry joint likely to be the problem?

I would check the solder joints first.

If touching up the solder joints doesn't help then the correct voltage may not be supplied into the relay - checking voltages will be the next step.

If the voltages are good then the relay is suspect.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
all works now, thank you. Obviously a dry joint
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Having put the board back, the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and now there is no clicking at all. I cannot see any obvious dry joints