Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.

I have an DSC-W30 and the telescopic lens keeps popping in

I have an DSC-W30 and the telescopic lens keeps popping in and out of its own accord???
This can happen if there is dust or dirt on the lens causing the focus to continuously shift.
Try cleaning the lens and let me know if that helps?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have cleaned the lense as well as I can with a clean cloth including blowing it first.But the problem is still there!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would have thought for the £20 you could give me some more clues as to what the problem is. Thanks..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can you call me please until 6p.m. then tomorrow from 9a.m. throughout the day.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
BNo I require him to call me for the fee of £15 once we have had our conversation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have requested for pete to call me on 07816 669 482 ? 2 days ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me what the problem is and i need to know quickly as i am running out of time.

Hello, sorry for the delay, I am mobile at the moment and did not get notified of your reply.

What type of photos are you taking when the problem occurs? e.g. indoor or outdoor, still or moving subject

What mode are you using?.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I use that camera simply for indoors still photos of antique furniture and use with flash in low light or automatic settings I.S.O.etc
But i am a novice when it comes to photography!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think the camera is quite old now at least 10 years and possibly more, cyber shot, Carl Zeiss,Vario-Tessar.
2,8 5,2 /6,3 -18,9 (whatever that means)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete can we resolve this problem quickly as i have run out of time for a client?

I'm not sure what mode you are using - were you able to check?

Could you try automatic mode if you haven't done so already?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to get automatic mode? Is it a good idea to empty the camera as quite often I have no spaces left for images to be saved? I really do not know what I am doing is it a good idea for me to spend an additional £15 on a call?

You can ignore any automated phone call offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

It is a good idea to back up or remove your photos regularly.

Ensure hte mode selector knob on the camera is set to the green "Auto" camera mode as shown in the attached image.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have carried out the 2 items you have mentioned and only left a small amount of images until I can transfer them on to the computer. But it is the same as before.

Does the lens only go in and out when you are about to take a photo?

Or does the lens go in and out if you leave the camera turned on and sitting on a surface, e.g. on a table?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the second point you made . If left on a Table switched on the lense moves in and out on its own.
usually it stes acess and then beaps and states (turn the power off and on again) eventually it will retract on its own.and switch off.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As a matter of fact the lense goes in and out on its own accord even when trying to take a photo.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete , would you like another £20 payment?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still available?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Is it easier for you to contact me on my mobile? I am really busy like you but would appreciate a reply.

The question is about the continuing problem with my digital Sony CybershotDSc-W30 which i have cleaned the lense But even if i am trying to take a photo or place the camera down on a table the lense keepe activating in or out etc. ongoing problem . the camera is over 10 yers old..

If the problem is still occurring on a still surface or tripod then the camera may need to be serviced.

You can arrange this through your local dealer or at

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear pete thank you for your help ,just one more question what can you tell me about a cannon S or 5 x 240 ?
Thwre is one coming up at auction with a 20 to 330 estimate.

The SX240 came out in 2012 and has a 20x optical zoom, face recognition, and is highly rated among its users.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it a good camera for taking detailed images of Antique furniture for my Website. Sorry the estimate is £20 to £30Including a panasonic lumix D M C L 240 with 42 optical Zoom. ?

Yes, £20-30 is a very good price for it.

It is a good all-rounder so would be good for taking detailed photos of furniture for a website.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Pete thank you very much for all of your help, i am certain i will be in touch again in the future.