How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Engineer
Category: Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 46259
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
Type Your Electronics Question Here...
Richard is online now

I want to install an external drive to my new Samsung TV

This answer was rated:

I want to install an external drive to my new Samsung TV "The Frame". I see that Western Digital make "WD My Passport AVTV" and "WD My Book AVTV" drives that are made specifically dedicated for TV's. I'm trying to figure out which is better, the My Passport or the My Book. I presume the My Passport gets its power from the back of the 'One Connect' box that is connected to The Frame TV. There's a special USB slot with 5V 1A power. Or there is the My Book with its own transformer. Any help would be really appreciated as I just can't seem to find any information on this. Many thanks for your help. Kind Regards, Peter

Hi there Peter and welcome

It is always best to use a drive with it's own power supply, as it ensure it receives the correct power at all time. If you get too many connected devices on the TV, it can lessen the output creating issues.

I would advise you go with the MyBook that has its own power supply, this will be the best solution for you Peter.

Is there any additional information you would like?

Please let me know

Richard and 2 other Electronics Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks Richard, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Kind Regards, Peter