carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

Washing machine will not do the full cycle. Does not fill

Customer Question

Washing machine will not do the full cycle. Does not fill with water
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question, please could you send me the model number of you machine. Do you have any water in the machine at the moment and is any fault code displayed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model is a Panasonic.
I've been playing around with it today. The water enters the drum now, but it won't turn. I tried a hot empty wash on in the morning and although the timer showed 226 minutes. The machine stopped after an hour. There was a very dirty residue left in the drum. The drum was spinning in the morning.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No fault code displayed.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 months ago.

Could you try putting the machine on a spin cycle and see if the drum spins? Could you also check the drain filter for any coins debris as that can cause strange faults on machines.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried putting the machine on a hot cotton cycle today. Water came into the machine, but the drum wouldn't spin. The water that came out of the filter yesterday was very dirty.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 months ago.

Did the machine complete its hot cycle? I am thinking the motor maybe at fault it could be it just need brushes or maybe the belt has snapped.

​Could you move the drum by hand does it move easily but with a slight resistance and no noises.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, the machine said it had finished. At the start of the program it said it was going to take 226 minutes, but end came up after about an hour and it stopped. I tried the same program later and water came into the machine but the drum didn't turn. I didn't let it go through the full cycle. I waited about 5 minutes and then just drained the machine.The drum moves easily. It doesn't sound like it's trying to turn the drum. It's very quiet.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like it could be the motor brushes. Would you be looking to repair the machine yourself?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would be fixing it myself.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 months ago.

The first thing I would suggest it to have a look at the motor brushes, It motor will be accessed either though a panel on the back of the machine or from underneath.

​Are you able to send me any photos of the brushes when they are removed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll probably be having a look at the machine tomorrow as I am going to be working on something else today. I'll have a look at the brushes.I know I can't get into the back of the machine, so I'll try the bottom. I'll send you a picture when I get the brushes out.