Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I was happily playing my music from my Mac or iPhone via

I was happily playing my music from my Mac or iPhone via AppleTV via optical to my Pioneer pioneer receiver vsx rs320. It was fine and then suddenly just wouldn’t play. I reset everything, messed around with the amp controls, checked all cabling etc. The TV signal plays fine through the other optical port, and switching them made no difference. Listening to music on my Mac isn’t the same thing as the hifi at all. Help if you can please.

Hi there and welcome

Which cable are you using to connect the Mac to the Hifi system?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I use wifi to connect the Mac to the AppleTV. From the Apple TV there is an optical cable, Toslink I think you guys call it. One connected to TV – which plays fine, other ro appleTV. See pic.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the Apple TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the Apple TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, thanks Richard, done. 10 mins.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No joy I'm afraid Richard.

DO the devices still connect to the Apple TV unit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mac and iPhones and iPad all connect.

If you try to play music from apple TV via the TV, not the pioneer, does it work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think that is possible. The TV has an optical port, but that is used for playing from the TV through the Pioneer amp. Or are optical port 2-way?

You just use the HDMI port

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, unexpected visitors... Yes, it plays the video through the TV.Ah, fixed it! Somehow Home Sharing had got switched off - some wretched bit of software managed to trash many preferences so this must have been one of them! I don't usually have the HDMI cable plugged in as the two ports are used up – security cameras and TV, so I had no message about Home Sharing on the TV! Lesson learnt. I wish I could get an adaptor to give me another HDMI port, but all the ones I've seen just split HDMI for two or more monitors. Any recommendation on that?Thanks a lot Richard.

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wish I could get an adaptor to give me another HDMI port, but all the ones I've seen just split HDMI for two or more monitors. Any recommendation on that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, thanks Richard. ***** on their way :-)