Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The top third of the picture on my TV is darkened - what

The top third of the picture on my TV is darkened - what could be the reason for this? My service is from SKY but I have tried a DVD but the problem remains.

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent support, pay per question website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need the following info to troubleshoot the problem

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
UE55JU8800K
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont need a conversation I just need an idea of the possible cause

NOTE: The phone call or any other offer is automated and did not send by me. Feel free to ignore it if you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in text chat.

Thanks, ***** ***** recheck TV model number?

UE55JU8800K is giving me hard time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its a Samsung and what I gave you is the model number. The "type" is the same number with the extra XXU on the end

I understand it is Samsung model number but it is incorrect, can you please recheck?

Correct model number will help me to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have gone back to the receipt which says it is a Samsung 55JU6800

Thank you, UE55JU6800K is a valid number

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried as first thing

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and Sky box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the turn off/on but didn't leave it for that length of time - 10 minutes. I will try this now.

Sure, please take your time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No luck - its just the same

Sorry to hear that, this test also confirmed that it is backlight system problem. Display panel/ the screen of the TV has LEDs inside as backlight and few LEDs on top 3rd are failing/ not producing enough light to glow that area as compare to rest of the screen, I'm sorry for this news

Replacement of LED stripes inside the screen is needed to resolve the problem. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If TV is out of warranty then check with local TV repair shops to get a repair estimate that will help you to make a decision. I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks - that is what I needed to know. Will give you the rating!

Much welcome, wish you the best~