JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have just got a new phone. I wanted to give my old Nokia

I have just got a new phone. I wanted to give my old Nokia 625 to my husband. I am with EE (previously Orange) and took the phone to one of their shops to get him started with it. They said the phone was locked because the contract had been taken out with Orange and they couldn't unlock it. They gave me the number of customer service at EE to get a code to unlock it.
I used the number and spoke to someone who said I should receive the code in 14 days. It didn't come and when I queried it they said that the phone showed up as unlocked (it wasn't) I tried to phone Nokia and Microsoft with no success. Nokia said the phone was too old and I couldn't get past the Microsoft automated answering. How can I get it unlocked?

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

The EE shop should have owned and managed this for you, not made you go on a goose chase.

Firstly when you put a non EE\Orange sim in the phone does it ask for the unlock code?

If it does you have two options, 1 go back to customer services and ask for the code, they can generate one again, 2 go to a third party website and pay for them to generate the code. You can try the company here who charge £15.

Please let me know if you need anything further

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We tried with an O2 sim . It just said no or valid sim. Didn't ask for a code. I spent almost 3hpurs with Ee trying to get it sorted without success

It should say "SIM Locked" if its saying invalid SIM it suggests the SIM card may be faulty, try a different O2 sim.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks will try a different sim

Just wanted to follow up to see how you got on with a different sim?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been to a phone unlock company in town. They have given me a sim for free (Gift Gaff) and charged £15 for an unlock code. Thanks for your help.