Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

A Sony Compact Disk Deck Receiver HCD-EH-45DAB: The tape

A Sony Compact Disk Deck Receiver HCD-EH-45DAB:
The tape will fast forward and back but will not play, no sound emerges. CD & Radio work fine and tape worked until one week ago

Does this problem happen with all tapes, or just one?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All !

Does the tape turn but not play, or does it not turn at all?

Touch the capstan shaft with your finger - if it doesn't move, there is a problem with the belt that activates the capstan shaft for the play mechanism.

There is also a gear cam mechanism which lifts the head to the cassette for play mode. If the head is not lifting then this gear mechanism has a fault.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK back to typing: it will not play any tape at all

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure what a capstan staff is or looks like but I'll have a look. I believe the tape is going round in play mode I'll go and have a look and try to follow instructions : bacl asap

The capstan is the round cylinder that feeds the tape along.

Let me know how it goes...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the tape is definitely going round but, as the front is not transparent I can't see whether the capstan is moving or not. It doesn't move with the door open but I surmise that's how it is meant to be when the tape is stopped.?

Yes, that is how it is intended.. if the tape is moving then it is likely that the gear cam for the head is not pushing the head fully into position to read the tape.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anything I can do myself to get it to operate?

It will require a repair, and possibly replacement parts.

Have you worked on this type of repair before?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No! I've rebuily my own car & motorcycle engines but have never needed to play around with tape decks. So, do I try to find someone locally who may know what to do or maybe it's cheaper to scrap it and try to find a replacement?

A repair is likely to cost around £40-50, however you can get a working system on eBay for £50 or less:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-HCD-EH45DAB-Micro-MP3-Radio-CD-HIFI-Component-System-Stereo/222882458310

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Pete : I'll give you 5 for patience and effort! Cheers