JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I purchased a Panasonic TV, model TX-50EX700B in December

I purchased a Panasonic TV, model TX-50EX700B in December and it has an intermittent fault where the guide takes 2 minutes + to load.
I was initially told the problem is my installation.
I have tried 2 different makes of flat screen tv's neither of which have this problem.
However to ensure the installation is not the issue I have upgraded the installation with a mast head amplifier with filter, new cable to the TV and relocated my phone. I already have a mains filter in place and a signal meter that indicates a signal strength of 70db. Note the aerial is only 2 years old.
Since then it has been in to the repair service twice who report they do not see the fault but have replaced the mother board.
I am again told the problem is my installation.
The fault continues to be a problem and I have video evidence of several instances of the fault. I also have a video of the signal information (strength and quality etc) for each channel which indicates the signal is not an issue.
Is this perhaps a design problem?

Hi Ian, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

This isnt not a signal/broadcasting issue, who advised you this issue was in relation to your installation?

Do you have the TV connected to the internet\wifi, and has the TV be updated to the latest firmware?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The store and their repair centre state it is a signal issue.
Yes the TV is connected to the internet and the software update service identifies the current version as the latest.

Ok, and you have good signal and picture quality when watching TV its just the guide which is failing?

The challenge you have is with intermittent faults the service centre probably tried it a couple of times the fault wasn't present so assumed its your local setup.

IS the TV connected to the internet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It may be with disconnecting the network connection to TV, and seeing if the fault occurs.

Ive seen some instances where the internet connection can cause these problems, once we know its linked we can then direct the service centre to the fault.

How often do you see the issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, I'll try that.
It happens sometime several times a day or maybe once every 2-3 days

Ok disconnect the WIIF run it for rest of the week and see if the fault is clear, if it is then we know its related to the WIFI. However if it does reoccure after a day no need to wait for the reset of the week, you can reconnect the WIFI and can ask Panasonic to replace the main board which contains the tuner.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've been testing the effect of disconnecting the wired internet for a couple of days and there has been no reoccurrence of the fault. You suggest replacement the main board as a permanent fix. However reportedly this has already been done when last in for repair.

Its a difficult one, it does sound like the TV is being overwhelmed by either not being able to get the data from the internet (which is timing out) or the processor just locking up.

Have a go switching the TV off at the wall each day, with the internet connected and see if the fault occurs. I again appreciate its not a sustainable fix, but if that resolves the issue it will be the main board or at least the software running on it is causing the fault.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've changed the ethernet cable between the TV and router and so far no repeat of the problem. Perhaps it's been a faulty cable or connection all the time.

That would be a possible reason, especially if the TV has had a new main board.

Let me know how you get on over the weekend.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sad to report even with a new lead the problem persists. I even used a different port on the router.
The router has been used for my PC via wifi for some time without problems. Note I do not watch TV at the same time as use the PC as they are in separate rooms.
Also I have a free view recorder using a wired connection that I had been using for Netflix access before purchasing this TV. This still works OK including access to Netflix.

OK, this does suggest the fault is with the TV processor, I would go back and ask that they run a test of 3-4 days with the unit connected to their internet and see if they can replicate it.

As with most intermittent issues unless they can replicate it is a real challenge, however the network adaptor, processor and software are all mounted on the main board so it has to be that which is at fault.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your help, however I got so fed up with it I returned it to the store and got my money back.
They did look at my video of the fault and concluded it may be a buffering issue and as the software is up to date decided there is nothing they can do.
I now have a new Sony working perfectly.

Great, it must be a specific fault on that TV. As with most intermittent issues its a real challenge. Glad you got your refund.

Do you require anything further?