*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

Amazon Kindle Fire7"HD Text to speech activated

Amazon Kindle Fire7"HD
Text to speech activated accidentally; how do I cancel this, please?

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

You need to tap the page, press the three vertical dots then press advanced settings.

This will load up a menu, and you want to turn off the switch for text to speech.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thanks I am trying that now
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
cannot find 3 vertical d

Are you tapping the page with a book open, it should bring down a bar at the top of the screen.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
l cannot slide left to open kindle

Have a look at the video here, scroll to 30 seconds into the video.

Are you not able to see the same menu?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
cannot slide L to unlock

Switch the Kindle off and give the screen a clean, then turn it back on and see if you can turn it on and unlock the Kindle.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
hello again have tried that & it works but have still got text to speech
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
for instance when I try to return to homepage it tells me I have hit the homepage icon,but it does not return me to homepage.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
was talking to James about my 7"2 kindle FireHDH I are you still there,James?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
have seen video but cannot find reader settings to start process
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
HaveI lost contact with you again,James?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Where are you? think we lost contact again; I still cannot resolve problem with Kindle
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
was talking to James about my 7"2 kindle FireHD
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Lost contact with James Problem still unresolved Have wasted over an hour and£26 Can I get back to him & have one more try?

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

This sounds like you have accidentally enabled the accessibility feature called screen reader.

To turn off Screen Reader and Explore by Touch:

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen with two fingers to open Quick Actions.
    Tip: If you're on the lock screen, place two fingers on the screen, swipe to the left, and then open Quick Actions.
  2. Tap Settings, and then double-tap the screen to open the Settings menu.
  3. Tap Accessibility, and then double-tap the screen to open the Accessibility menu.
  4. Next to Screen Reader, tap Off, and then double-tap the screen to confirm your selection.
  5. In the alert that appears, tap Continue, and then double-tap the screen.
  6. If that fails try this next
  • Go to Settings (Double tap and hold the top bar on the screen, and then pull the bar downward to view the Settings menu)
  • Select (double tap) “More”.
  • Select (double tap) the “Accessibility” option to open the Accessibility menu.
  • Slide (double tap and slide) the “Text-to-Speech” toggle to the Off position.
  • Slide (double tap and slide) the “Voice Guide” toggle to the Off position.
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience: I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
7" Kindle Fire HD3rd generation I cannot cancel text-to-speech.Video for5th gen. Kindle says I should open any book to start. No books loaded; unable to do that. I tap any icon and text to speech tells me which icon but the icon does not work.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Cannot go to quick actions Text to speech tells me which icon I have tapped/swiped but none of the icons/swipe actions work
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Good I think I have done that successfully, Randi. please thank James for me.It was not his fault I lost contact several times.Does the £26 cover me for 7 days of questions?