Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I live in Norwich and suddenly can't record from my jvc tv.

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Norwich and suddenly can't record from my jvc tv. There was something in the paper about scrambling the Tacolneston mast on 5th June, and since then I've had this problem. I turned off everything and turned back on again, so I can now see all the programmes from the Guide button, just can't record any! Help please!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 days ago.

Hi Bev, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

There isnt anything scrambled other than Pay Per View channels, digital rights management (which is what Sky are starting to use) will be rolled out in the years to come which will stop you recording, but this isnt even in pilot on terrestrial at the moment.

Can you send me a list of channels have noticed the issue on, provide your postcode and advise when you last performed a re-tune.

thanks.

James

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi James,
I'm actually writing on behalf of my 95 year Dad, so may not be able to answer all the questions you have! Postcode is NR5 9HF. He only records from normal channels, doesn't have PPV, Sky or anything. A few days ago when I was up there, he said he couldn't see the TV channel recording menu, and he was quite right - nothing was visible.
So having checked batteries in the probes, I then switched everything off, waited, and switched on again. That restored the channel menu screen - so you can see what's on tonight, tomorrow, next week, etc on all the channels he can access.
Selecting a programme is fine; but pressing the red record button on the probe (one of which is only a few months old), does absolutely nothing.
That's about all the info I can give you at the minute!
Bev
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 days ago.

Can you clarify what you mean by pressing the record button on a programme which is a few months old, the TV guide should only go up to 7 days.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's the probe (remote control) which is only a few months old.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 days ago.

Right ok, if you turn your camera on your phone point the camera at the remote and press the red button can you see a light on the phone' camera screen?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'll try that on Friday when I'm there. You can see a change in the light on the Panasonic box when you press the red button, as if it's "picking up" the electronic signal to do something, but that's as far as it goes. No red "record" symbol appears on the TV programme selected.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 days ago.

Ok, when you go on the Friday start by checking you can play back previously recorded programs and that the storage media is working.

Once we know you can play back previously recorded programs we can focus on the TV setup rather than the storage hardware.

It would be worth going through the TV menu and performing a factory reset, if you are able to confirm you can play programs but not record.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi James, am here now. Yes, we can play back a previously recorded programme.But using my phone as you describe above, does nothing.When you press the record button on the probe, a small light comes on the Panasonic box, as is if it picking up the probe signal, but doesn't go to record...Whilst I'm waiting for your reply, I'll try to figure out how to do a factory reset....
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Ok this does sound like a software fault on the TV then, go into the TV menu, setup and there should be a option for reset to shipping conditions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Did a reset of the TV. But still got the same result at the end. So I assume something in the Panasonic box itself is no longer working.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Any other ideas?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 days ago.

Yes, it sounds like the fault is on the main TV board if a reset hasnt worked.