JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Assistant: How can I help? I have a Panasonic DMR-EX83 DVD

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a Panasonic DMR-EX83 DVD Recorder and the disc tray flap will not close, seems left side is high right side low.
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model Panasonic DMR-EX83EB-K DVD Recorder, not sure of the age
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am a retired electronics engineer last employed in tv, video and microwave repair.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you I am happy to wait.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Are you able to attach a picture, of the tray, and confirm with the power off is it rigid or is there movement side to side \ back and forth?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi James I have since discovered, by doing a bit of investigation on the unit, that the disc flap and the long flap under it are all part and parcel of the black plastic front cover and are beyond repair. So I am now trying to source a complete front cover. As the unit is some eight years old it is proving very dificult to find one. Is there any way that you can help with this search?
Many Thanks
Tom.

Can certainly look for a new facia, but imagine it would be obsolete.

You may be better looking to see if you can get a second hand on on ebay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am already searching on ebay, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Panasonic have confirmed the fascia (among other parts) are obsolete, this could be why your having trouble locating them.

The firms I use also dont have old stock for your model, as such its now just locating a fault second hand unit for £10 and using that as spares. Personally based on the age of the appliance I would suggest you opt to replace it entirely as you approaching the life expectancy of the unit anyway, so will likely encounter other issues such as the PCB failing in the near future.

I will carry on searching as I am awaiting to hear back from a firm in China to see if they are able to assist, and let you know should anything come available.

James

Ive not been able to secure parts else where due to them being obsolete, so this does leave the alternative to buy a second hand unit, or just remove the fascia around the tray and let it work without the tray cover

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Do you require any further assistance?

JamesI, Technician
Experience: I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.