Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Have just changed ink cartridges but U052 says type of print

Have just changed ink cartridges but U052 says type of print head is incorrect. It is the one that came with the printer
Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: Canon MP640
Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: Just yesterday
Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I don't know. I am not very technical!!
Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't use the printer very often

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It still gives the message U052 the type of print head is incorrect Install the correct print head

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have done that. what comes next?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am now waiting ten minutes before putting the ink back in

thanks

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It is still saying type of print head incorrect Install correct print head. This is the one I have always used without any problem.

Replace the ink cartridge and tell me how that works please

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have yesterday put in new ink cartridges and don't have any more.

It is the internal printhead that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am sure the warranty will have expired. I cannot remember when I bought it. I am just an elderly lady in the Welsh mountains!!!

Ok, if this is the case you will need to purchase a replacement sorry

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Can it not be repaired? It seems I have paid out £20 (for advice and a short phone call) for no benefit.

The cost to repair exceeds the value of the printer, the benefit is we eliminated the causes for this and confirmed the issue