Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My beloved Canon MG5350 suddenly stopped working for no

My beloved Canon MG5350 suddenly stopped working for no particular reason, message appeared to say contact service centre.
Assistant: How long have you had your MG5350?
Customer: Don't remember exactly but a number of years
Assistant: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have unplugged the printer and checked the fuse which appears to be OK, it's all alive electronically.
Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: Canon MG5350.
Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: It has only just happened and that's why I'm contacting you. It has never ever happened before.
Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I'm using an iMac and it has recently been updated with a new operating system, but I have just finished printing out a lot of pages and all has been fine
Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have done as you suggested but now the printer has gone completely dead, there is no power at all. I have checked the fuse and it is OK.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, which we just did

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.