Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT170 which has been working fine

Hi, I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT170 which has been working fine for 2 years but now when I insert any dvd or blu ray it tries to read it for 20 seconds or so making some noises then on the screen it states "This disc is incompatible". Can you help please?
Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?
Customer: Don't have one connected at the moment - why would the sound matter?
Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?
Customer: Its a 4k blu ray player?
Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that it is a Panasonic DMP-BDT170 4K blu ray player.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please remove the power to the player then wait 5 minutes

Connect the power and tell me how it now functions please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had it disconnected for 3 weeks but have just connected it up to check if it works and to speak with you. I still has the same error message. I did try with a cd lens cleaner but that didn't work.

We will reset the unit

To do this, Turn the unit on

Then press and hold OK and the yellow button and the blue button on the remote at the same time for more then 5 seconds

You will see 00 Ret shown on the screen

Press the right button on the remote until 08 Fin is shown

Press and hold OK for more then 5 seconds

Tell me how it now functions please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I followed out your instructions the player turned itself off. On start up I had to follow the instructions for the settings. When this was complete I inserted a dvd. It tried reading it five times making a noise at the end of each and then came up with the same error message: "This disc is incompatible".

It is the internal Disk Lens that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help. The player is out of warranty so it will have to be a new one!!

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.