Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have borrowed a Canon Legria hf r17. Battery fully

I have borrowed a Canon Legria hf r17. Battery fully charged. Switched on. Screen completely blank. Have been switching it for by removing battery. Any ideas? Was wondering id
Assistant: What device has a bad screen?
Customer: I've told you.
Assistant: How long have you had your R17?
Customer: Why don't you read what I have written? I just borrowed it
Assistant: What have you tried so far?
Customer: There's nothing to try. Screen is on but completely blank.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I was wondering if it needs a reset, and if so how to do that
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
What's going on? Is anyone going to answer my question?

Press the DISP button repeatedly to toggle the various displays off and on.

Let me know if that works?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No joy. The camera fired up, green pilot light on. Screen is blank. Tried repeatedly pressing display button.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No. If you can just give me things to try. Is there no way of resetting the camera?

You can ignore any offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

Is the display folded out fully?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.

There is a ribbon cable inside these cameras that attaches the display to the main board.

Over time, the ribbon cable can work loose from the connections, or it can fray and fail.

If nothing is appearing on the display when it is fully extended and you toggle the DISP button several times then it is likely that the ribbon cable is either loose or damaged.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
what can I do?

The camera will need to be opened up so that the ribbon cable can be checked.

Is this something you will be attempting yourself?

Perhaps best to check with the owner first before undertaking any repairs - the display may already have been working intermittently.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No. I don't think so. The camera was sent through the post. Perhaps this happened then.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The screen is lit, but nothing on it.

Are you looking for a repairer in your area? If so, please advise your postcode or nearest town.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ls29 6GE. What would be a typical cost?

A local repairer will charge around £30-50 to open the camera and check the cable.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks Pete. I would need to talk to the owner first. Tell me, so far I have paid £5 for your time. Will I need to cancel my subscription to stop further payments being charged to my card?

Yes, I can send your cancellation request through to customer services when we are done.

--------------------

Thanks for the opportunity to assist you, your satisfaction is my priority. I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

I will still be here if you need me after you rate my service.

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Have a great day!

Pete.

--------------------